Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: What the fuck?  (Read 299202 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: What the fuck?
« Reply #2480 on: January 30, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »

Why can't people understand that in certain situations an individual must relinquish certain rights as to perform the social service in which they willingly sought in a way that does not potentially violate the rights of those whom the individual is meant to serve?

In a related but less severe example, the hue and cry about "free speech" every time a shock jock gets fired.

My favorite succinct response to the argument, which I saw on a comments section somewhere: "Dr. Laura still has free speech.  She just doesn't have a job anymore."

Yet the courts continue to rule in the goddamn incompetent pharmacists' favor, ignoring the implications.

As I understand it, the way it currently stands, per the 9th Circuit, is that pharmacies can't refuse to sell Plan B on religious grounds.  I know there were some lower court rulings to the contrary, but I believe that's the current state of it.

I believe the Arizona legislature passed a bill allowing pharmacies to refuse to sell them but Napolitano vetoed it.  Which means that once they're done terrorizing Mexicans they can turn around and pass it again, continuing their agenda of wasting what money's left in the state's coffers on indefensible lawsuits protecting unconstitutional laws.

Fortunately, they will never be done terrorizing Mexicans.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: January 31, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »

Fortunately, they will never be done terrorizing Mexicans.
And the award for "Best Sound Byte Waiting to be Taken Out of Context" goes to...

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: February 01, 2011, 08:39:09 AM »

"Heirloom quality love sheaths"

Best part:

However, the condoms carry a disclaimer advising would-be lovers they are designed as a souvenir and are not suitable for contraception or to prevent STDs.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: February 02, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »

Last November the voters in Missouri approved the Puppy Mill Cruelty Prevention Act by over 60,000 votes. So, naturally the wingnuts in charge of the Missouri House and Senate have put overturning the law as a top priority for their 2011 Legislative agenda. Three bills to help protect puppy kickers from oversight and anti-cruelty measures have already been introduced in the Missouri House. The Missouri Senate and House have already held hearings and the “Beat a Puppy Act” is on its way to becoming law. As for the voters, the message from their TeaBagger representatives is clear: piss off and shut up.
You can follow the amazing venality of these folks in the local papers as they write about Republicans and puppy mill operators arguing that they could not function if their ability to be cruel was restricted and that voters in Missouri were very, very wrong and mean-spirited to demand oversight and regulation of dog breeding factories.

Don't stop being awesome, Tea Party.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: February 02, 2011, 10:35:57 PM »

Source

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: February 03, 2011, 01:06:53 AM »

Yeah, I love how the Republican House is focusing on job creation.

Yep.  Totally dedicated to the task of getting the American people back to work.

Mmmhmm.  Totally.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2487 on: February 03, 2011, 03:41:50 AM »

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: February 03, 2011, 04:18:29 AM »

I meant the source for that specific quote.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: February 03, 2011, 07:13:41 AM »

A rather Catloaf-like random dude I know. The screed amused me for a change, so I just reposted the whole thing rather than stripping out the links.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: February 09, 2011, 03:55:33 AM »

Seriously, Ohio?

You're really making abortions illegal 18 days after conception? SERIOUSLY?

Oh and Heartbeat Bill, Valentines day, ha ha ha, we all get it :facepalm:

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: February 09, 2011, 04:06:25 AM »

"Heartbeat Bill" sounds like Rough Trade.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: February 09, 2011, 06:40:17 AM »

No bitch is safe from Heartbeat Bill.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: February 09, 2011, 08:21:46 AM »

Okay, I can't find anything right now, but this morning, right on the front cover of the more rag-ish of our national newspapers (okay, the National Post isn't great, but it's not outright horrible or anything) there was quite a story. I'll try to go over it from memory, because it seems to have disappeared completely for now (I'm not claiming conspiracy, just that I can't find the damn thing), so apologies for errors that turn up later.

Apparently, in a scene right out of a spy thriller, a hulking slab-of-a-man former US Special Forces agent (currently attached to some obscure segment of the State Dept) started a shooting match in the middle of a crowded Pakistani market, killing several people. The Pakistanis are calling him a trigger happy spy and the State Dept is calling him a "diplomat" (oh the iron flavouring).

So far the unargued facts are that there was a gun battle that left two men dead, followed by the "diplomat" trying to flee. There was a carload of black-sunglasses mooks (also American) following the "diplomat" around (for whatever reason) who ran over an bystander in the ensuing chaos. An angry mob of locals beat the crap out of everyone and handed the "diplomat" over into Pakistani police custody. The "diplomat's" side of the story, as given by the SD is that a car pulled up beside him and the men inside tried to rob him. He pulled out a gun and killed his attackers in self-defence (pop pop pop) then tried to flee.

Now the local cops are holding him for murder, illegal carrying, and a rash of other charges, and of course the US is demanding he be released. What struck me most was that the American ambassador is threatening no less than an almost complete severance of ties with Pakistan unless the "Diplomat" is set free. The Pakistani government is furious at the whole thing and who knows what the hell will happen.

Anybody see this story yet?

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: February 09, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »

Here's an Al-Jazeera article on it.

I remember having heard about this when it first happened; it was initially interesting as a story of "sounds like somebody did something weird and crazy and they'll probably lose their job or whatever for it", but now this whole story is becoming Increasingly Weird - mostly in terms of the bizarre hardball tactics being used. (On both sides - it's weird that Pakistan would be trying to keep the guy if he explicitly has diplomatic immunity, and of course it's weird that the US would threaten to cancel a few million dollars of aid if he wasn't extradited released free.)
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: February 10, 2011, 04:18:18 AM »

It's certainly not out of the question to detain a guy taking photos of defense installations.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: February 12, 2011, 05:26:55 AM »

Yeah, this sounds to me like one of our spooks got caught and we're trying to run damage control.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: February 15, 2011, 01:18:23 AM »

So as everyone knows, Wisconsin went from a blue state to a red state. Already in the one month Scott Walker has been in office, he has called for huge cuts to state workers, limiting court awards in injury cases, and throwing away every kind of stimulus the federal government tries to give us. On top of that he is calling for the elimination of collective bargaining rights for public workers.

Shit sucks yo.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: February 15, 2011, 02:54:42 AM »

+15 rage pts.
For every Level I gain in rage, I get a -2pt to sanity, reason, and coherence, and a 1/3 chance of gaining a pharmaceutical 'bonus'!
Currently Lvl.5, no idea how much more Lvl.6