Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Portal 2  (Read 3983 times)

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Portal 2
« on: March 07, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »

The Game Informer exclusive on Portal 2 has been leaked.

It's a long read, but pretty interesting to see.  The biggest reveal is that it will be a stand-alone, full priced game, not part of another collection.

Also, they hired Jay Pinkerton, the guy who made those Spider-Man comic edits :profit:

I guess it's kinda dumb to post about a game that's not coming out until the end of the year, but oh well.

Oh yeah, if you didn't notice, they changed the ending to Portal 1.  Go check it out or Youtube it.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:23:18 PM »

If it's in the future, I wonder if it's going to reference the ending of Halflife2 or other stuff like that.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:25:49 PM »

"100 years later" is an easy way to say "We don't know what the fuck happens in HL2E3". I find myself glad they aren't treating P2 as a Half-Life tie-in as much, but kind of miffed this is the way they choose to do it.

Crouton

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »

Did the first Portal and HL2 take place at the same time to begin with? I can only recall vague references between Aperture/Black Mesa, but nothing concrete.

yyler

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »

Definitely same time-frame as the Half-Life series, iirc, but I don't remember the specifics at all.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »

There's a slide-show in a side room that you can't access that is like "WHAT CAN WE DO TO BEAT BLACK MESA" so it's assumed pre-HL.

But if you over-analyze Glados' quotes you might think that it's post-HL2 with obscure references to the Combine.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »

Yeah, it's hard to tell.  They do use the energy balls the combine use, but I think it's explained somewhere that Aperture Science actually made those.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:37:41 PM »

I always assumed it was before HL2, but after the 7 hour war, which explains why no one from Aperture has attempted to reclaim the lab from GlaDOS.  The lab was definitely created before Half-Life, but we have no idea how long it's been empty.

Thinking about it now, there's no reason to really assume that it takes place near the HL timeline at all, since GlaDOS had the ability to keep you in stasis indefinitely, and a sterile lab environment isn't going to show much wear and tear over the years.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:39:39 PM »

How sterile can it really be with all of the science going on there?

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »

I'm honestly kind of pissed to see us get dragged back into the labs. I was hoping all of the next game's challenges would be set in real-world locations, like getting up a cliff side or moving about an apartment complex.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »

I thought the argument was that it was before the 7-Hour War due to the absence of spacial/eco-fuckery in the sky outside.

I think the official stance is "it matters about as much as the Zelda timeline."

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 10:56:23 PM »

Yeah, it's hard to tell.  They do use the energy balls the combine use, but I think it's explained somewhere that Aperture Science actually made those.

I think I recall that being explained in one of the Commentary notes as "Yeah, we just re-used an art asset.  There's no connection."
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 06:10:08 AM »

I never beat Portal because it makes me motion sick  ::(:  Can't believe I waited so long to beat it that I don't even get to see the ending.
But I did use it as my final presentation in Topology and got an A!

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 06:35:38 AM »

It occasionally made me motion sick but not always.  And even when I was feeling awful, I kept playing, or stopped only long enough to recover.  I guess I enjoyed it more, or I'm just stupidly tenacious.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 06:51:41 AM »

I enjoyed it a lot.  I played it until halfway through the last level, then stopped.  Then the next time I went to play it my ex had formatted his computer so my save was gone.  Then when I finally got it for myself, I played until the same point.  And I haven't gone back to it because my experience had been not as awesome since I had to repeat everything.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 07:18:25 AM »

The whole last half of the game is pretty dang sweet - you should get on that.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 07:31:58 AM »

It was 9 years after I bought Alice that I finally beat it, so I'm still on track.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 08:03:52 AM »

alice

(threadsplit)

sucked
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 11:23:48 AM »

The new ending doesn't replace the old one, it's like an extended version.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 01:14:20 PM »

it is kind of a bullshit extension though

I mean when you read

"and then darth vader was killed and everyone was happy"

you don't expect a sequel to come over and say

"except darth vader was not really dead and then he defeated luke"