Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Finite Time  (Read 684 times)

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Finite Time
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »

So I got Infinite Space and Strange Journey from Amazon (yay christmas credit), and although I started off with Strange Journey, it's Infinite Space that's really grabbed me.

It's a great game. Discuss.

Also: I think this is the first time I've ever seen shota used as a plot macguffin. I'm okay with this. (French maid uniform shota, no less.)
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Finite Time
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 12:37:20 PM »

It's a great game. Discuss.
I've been thinking about getting it. Elaborate?
Also: I think this is the first time I've ever seen shota used as a plot macguffin. I'm okay with this. (French maid uniform shota, no less.)
Elaborate?

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »

french maid shota, you say

proooooooobably shouldn't have mentioned that in your first post
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »

Well, incredibly minor spoilers, but the long story is that at some point you get some tactician wizkid on your crew. (Thus far he hasn't done anything except get dressed up like a maid and get kidnapped, but maybe he'll be significant to the plot in some way later on.)

And your crew is out drinking and he loses a bet and has to wear a french maid outfit. And everybody passes out from drinking.

Then, pirates raid the station, and kidnap the waitress and the kid because they think he's a chick because he's dressed like a maid.

Right before you rescue him, there's a cutscene where the pirates are menacingly advancing on him in the cargo hold and he's like "No, this is all a misunderstanding! I'm a guy!" and they're like "Really? Even better!"

It was pretty awesome. Especially because pretty much everything else in the game so far has been PG at best.

french maid shota, you say

proooooooobably shouldn't have mentioned that in your first post

Why on earth not? Should I have immediately made a second post and mentioned it there instead?

In any case, it's a legitimately neat game on its own merits so far. The mechanics for space combat are somewhat odd, and the mechanics for melee (boardiing) combat are completely lost on me - I hit a button, and then I win or sometimes I lose and have to load my last save. And frankly there's no really effective way to grind for levels or (more importantly) cash so far, although apparently later I'll be able to get cargo holds that might make it worth my while to just run around from point A to point B. And the internal documentation likes to tell me important things a bit later than I would have liked to have known them.

Okay, so there's some real flaws.

But you know what? All of that is forgiven, because then I get to go buy new ships and put new weapon on them and customize their internal layouts and then - and this is my favorite part - assign crew to staffing positions! Have you ever played a game where it would be great except that the constant, necessary, and tedious inventory management kills all the fun? This is the exact opposite - it's a decent game, except for incredibly awesome ship management bits.

If you played Gratuitous Space Battles, and you liked it, then Infinite Space may be a game for you!
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »

I just got hung up in the first star system for an hour by what seemed like a story progression bug.  I'd just beaten the first boss battle, and the guards at the Stargate thing still wouldn't let me through on authority of the feudal lord I'd just murdered.  I was flying back and forth on the first map for about an hour with no jobs available, no more cargo ships at either asteroid belt, no new ships or parts to buy, no different dialog at the taverns (I'd already bribed the guards once before the boss fight only to see they intended to take my money and laugh at me), and very infrequent random encounters that yield double-digit gold each (I thought "fuck, do I have to grind another five thousand gold here to get the Epitaph out of hock?").  It was only after I threw away a second hundred gold to the border guard at the one tavern that the magic plot switch tripped that caused the jackass from the first tavern to join the team and allow me to decide to blast the fuck out of the ships at the Fargate and actually continue the story.

The rest of what I've seen so far is actually quite fun, but will there be any more of that sort of bullshit to come?
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: