Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: What's your internet age?  (Read 7313 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
What's your internet age?
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:49:34 PM »

So I just learned that what the kids say these days when they type a message in the wrong window isn't "mav", it's "mt".  You damn whippersnappers and yer newfangled expressions!

Why I remember when there was no such thing as lol!  Yeah, seriously!  We all used <g>.  No that ain't no fancy MySpace tag, where's your durn head at?  <g> means grin, any idiot can tell you that!

...well actually I thought it meant giggle for about five years BUT THAT'S BESIDE THE POINT!  DAD-GURM IT!

So how much of an internet old-fogey are you?  What hip new slang has passed you by?  Do you remember when WoW was "Gemstone III"?  Or when trolls were called "bashers"?

Okay I think that last bit might have just been a Prodigy thing but anyway, spin a yarn for me YA DURN PUNKS!

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: What's your internet age?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:10:23 PM »

I've been on the 'net as Guildenstern (shark-community-exclusively) for eleven years.

All my stories are of me finding out way too late what acronyms mean, like lol which I had to ask Rosen about.

Lately I've been parusing 4chan but I still mostly come here for my e-kicks.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »

I remember thinking |_33t$p34|< was the coolest, funniest thing in the world.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »

My favourite thing about the kids these days is how they think that every internet meme there is started in WoW when the complete opposite is true apart from perhaps Leroy Jenkins.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:43:59 PM »

I remember the pre-browser bbs days. Not a whole hell of a lot, but I do remember.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 02:44:57 AM »

I remember the pre-browser bbs days. Not a whole hell of a lot, but I do remember.
I also remember this time.  Back then it was the only way to get decent games for the Amiga.

Hell, in grade school we had a C64, and that was some hot shit!

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 05:36:41 AM »

I distinctly remember the EEWWOORRRREEEWOOOO sound of a 4400 baud modem. While attempting to connect to a free AOL floppy disc on a 486 with Windows 3.11.

I found the Megazeux community because I was doing an AOL search for Chrono Trigger files and came across a ZZT fan made game.  That was probably around 1997 or so.

I got kicked off of Netzero for using their free, unlimited internet too much.  I use to think Asians WhO tAlKeD lIkE tHiS wErE tHe CoOlEsT.

At one point in my internet life, Internet Explorer was the best browser ever, due to the severe limitations of the built in AOL browser.

The internet has ruined my life.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 06:48:03 AM »

My sexual awakening occurred one day when I played a door game about Barney the Dinosaur.  In one scene, a pair of the children run off and fuck, and they come back with a little baby, who you get to name.  I usually named it "Fart".

I spent the rest of my time trying to fuck Violet in LORD.

Otherwise, I spent most of my childhood playing RealmsMUD, which is was a pretty normal fantasy MUD, except I am an insane person and I could rarely get past level 10 without getting sick of my character and suiciding it so that I could reroll and be something else.  For all the hours I put into that game, I should have probably hit max level several times over.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 06:57:17 AM »

My sexual awakening occurred one day when I played a door game about Barney the Dinosaur.  In one scene, a pair of the children run off and fuck, and they come back with a little baby, who you get to name.  I usually named it "Fart".

the piano wire across the track during the tricycle race was a great way to get kills
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 07:06:23 AM »

GeoCities vs FortuneCity vs Tripod? GO!

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 07:12:05 AM »

I also remember when I thought Dr. Sbaitso was a form of black magic, summoning a long-dead soul into the PC speaker and forcing him to say "i like to lick a peenis, yummy peenis in my throat, please give me more peenis for my supper"

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 07:24:55 AM »

GeoCities vs FortuneCity vs Tripod? GO!

You forgot xoom!

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »

I remember getting Starcraft for Christmas and playing the first mission on my uncle's laptop.

I also remember playing Diablo II on a modem and typing "LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG" whenever it lagged... which didn't really make sense, but it was tradition.

FUN FACT: You can re-enact the nostalgic lag by running BitTorrent in the background! It's just like the old days!
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 08:17:44 AM »

First chat room and not knowing any goddamn fucking thing anyone was saying.

It was like being one of our parents, only I learned what it meant after about 15 minutes instead of being unable to understand anything indefinitely for the rest of my life.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 09:42:40 AM »

I got onto the AOL in 1996. Around that time my parents bought me a little virtual pet game called Oddballz, and shortly thereafter there was a contest to create your own Oddballz. The contest winner was Grinnz, a little goblin thing, created by a webcomic artist for a little Geocities site called "The Brothers Grinn" -- a site I came to be a fan of. Well, eventually the website moved to a proper domain (supermegatopia.com) and got a proper message board.

In other words, my very first web community inevitably became a hive for furries with fat chick fetishes. And, oh God, the pokemorph fetishists. Gross.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »

The first chat room I remember going into I used the name "LostLynx" and I didn't feel dirty about it.

While in this chat room, I was also eagerly visiting my favorite geocities fan shrines to anime and video games. Featuring all your favorite 25x30 pixel images tiled as backgrounds.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »

Oddballz

Holy crap yes.  I had a Honker.  I still make that little noise he made when he was bored.  Sort of a "hum-de-dum" except he went "hehn-hehn-hehhhn."  I'll like, lie around, and go "hehn-hehn-hehhhhn."

yeah.

i'm pretty cool.

also, that goblin was the gayest pet ever.

Guild

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 10:48:39 AM »

Hey RCR rom link. And it's not broken. AND if I get a wild hair I could also get dodgeball.

I think I'll play RCR again right now.

Edit: Hey Geo you wouldn't happen to have hidden on your site an snes emulator?

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 11:07:10 AM »

My initial exposure to the internet was mostly just a fleeting trip into a handful of text-only fansites for Mario RPG pointers. I was a bit too busy playing through the Dark Forces demo for the eight hundredth time on my dad's work computer to really care much about it until online gaming took off 'round '98.

It was a simpler time!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5