Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Applepocalypse  (Read 41616 times)

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
Applepocalypse
« on: April 15, 2010, 07:38:43 AM »

Most articles I read say that flash isn't allowed on the iPhone/iPad because it's a hideous beast of resources, Steve Jobs hates it, and has said "No" numerous times.

This article was an interesting change in point of view.  Essentially it states that Apple may be looking to change how the processing playing field works, rather than simply hating on Adobe.  (Or maybe they want to do both.)

The latter part of the article seems to read as pure fanboyism, but it's still an interesting idea.  Guess we'll have to wait for someone to take apart the A4 processor.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Applepocalypse
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:57:47 AM »

Someone already took apart the processor.  It's a single-core ARM, not special.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:20:17 AM »

The latter part? I can barely get the meaning of any of the paragraphs of the article because the author has THE BACK OF HIS THROAT LOVINGLY WRAPPED AROUND THE TIP OF APPLE'S DICK

Hell, even -if- these changes were intended to bring forth the kingdom of Steve Jobs on earth, that's not what sets me on edge. Ok it IS but it's not ONLY that. The problem is that as long as you are Apple's little bitch they can change the rules of the game at any step and you can't do anything but bark like the bitch you are.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:35:57 AM »

Markos Moulistas, runner of Daily Kos, is an ardent iPad supporter.  But, when faced with issue of closed system, pointed to a 13 year old kid who had developed an iPad app.  Proudly proclaimed, "If it's closed how did this kid develop an app!"  Completely ignoring that the kid had to use a separate, more open system to achieve this fabled goal.

Which is one of the problems I have with Apple apologists.  The gist of their support for Apple's policies relies on two issues I happen to disagree: 1) That it's finally providing a platform for independent developers to get develop stuff and 2) That Apple products "Just work!", which is the fundamental trade off of a closed system.

The first issue just sounds rather ridiculous, as it ignores that most of what we use on the internet and in our day to day life comes from garage programmers who have always had a platform to create and distribute their own software.  What Apple has actually done is find a way that they can personally profit off of that freedom and essentially make every independent developer an Apple employee that pays the company.

The second issue is with the "It just works" mentality.  For years Apple has justified their closed systems with the mantra that in doing so, they create a device that just functions the way the user wants without having to deal with crashes or inconsistencies.  Seeing as how each of my apps takes a nose-dive at least once a day (sometimes more.  The other day my Evernote app crashed 9 times in a row), and the number of times I've had to reboot the entire phone just to get it working again actually seems to be larger than the number of times I've had to reboot my Windows 7 machine.  

But above all is how Apple simply treats the idea of an open system as a choice as repugnant.  They don't even provide the option to open the system for people who know what they're doing or at least feel confident in their abilities to operate the device.  Apple even treats people who seek to open their system with jailbreaking as a violation of their rules which gives them legal right to brick the device you paid for.  Apple's continued insistence that they still own the device I paid for is the greatest sin, and the one that is the biggest deal breaker these days.

tl;dr: LOL Appl€

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:44:37 AM »

has the ipad been jailbroken yet?

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »

So I like how they do this and claim it's to keep the quality of apps high when the quality of apps are definitely not high. Yeah sure, blame the tools, not the legions of developers who still think they can get rich quick. I also hate when people act as if Apple is a much nice, loving choice than Microsoft. Apple makes very good products, but they're still a raging bag of dicks.

Dreth: sorta.  It's been jailbroken, but a method isn't available for download yet as far as I know. The crack team is still 'packaging' it.

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:24:47 AM »

The latter part? I can barely get the meaning of any of the paragraphs of the article because the author has THE BACK OF HIS THROAT LOVINGLY WRAPPED AROUND THE TIP OF APPLE'S DICK

Hell, even -if- these changes were intended to bring forth the kingdom of Steve Jobs on earth, that's not what sets me on edge. Ok it IS but it's not ONLY that. The problem is that as long as you are Apple's little bitch they can change the rules of the game at any step and you can't do anything but bark like the bitch you are.

There are times when I read your posts and just sit back in awe thinking holy crap that isn't even his first language

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 10:35:35 AM »

"How are we going to keep a foothold on this market we created?"

"Simple, make sure we can do things with the market others can't do."

I thought we had laws against this kind of thing.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »

There are times when I read your posts and just sit back in awe thinking holy crap that isn't even his first language

complaining is my first language

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 11:02:55 AM »

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »

To go back to the Apple vs Microsoft (in terms of evil), man, I am more afraid of Apple. They're about as bad (if not in some areas, way worse) but waaay more capable and have a way better public perception. The stuff they get away with while maintaining consumer trust staggers me.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40:08 PM »

Apple wants to push hardware.

Microsoft wants to push software.

Pray one never buys the other.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:46:59 PM »

...have we gotten to the part where Apple is telling programmers what languages they're allowed to develop in yet?

I mean, I hate Flash.  I'm actually okay with Apple trying to choke it off in an effort to force HTML5 implementation and compliance -- because breaking compatibility is the only way to get people to stop using shitty-but-ubiquitous Web development methods.

But telling people they can't code in ActionScript and compile to an iPad binary?  Fuck.  That.  With a rusty hook.

...anybody want to try and find the other various iPad side conversations we've been having across the forums for a splitmerge?  I think they're relevant.

Here, I'll go look.

Adjust Search Parameters
You may have meant to search for IPA.

...SMF makes a good point.  Fuck this, I'm going to go grab a beer.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 05:12:54 PM »

But telling people they can't code in ActionScript and compile to an iPad binary?  Fuck.  That.  With a rusty hook.

Hey, as Steve Jobs puts it, "intermediate layers between the platform and the developer ultimately produces sub-standard apps and hinders the progress of the platform."

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »

Yeah, well, he founded the company with a guy who could compile an OS BY HAND.  I think most of us can agree there should be more layers between the developer and the platform than that.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 05:20:04 PM »

I still can't believe he refused to write the foreword to Wozniak's memoirs because he thought it wasn't flattering enough.  It's like, okay, you can still be a not terrible person while being an insane control freak with a deranged corporate philosophy, so not gonna go from there to personal judgments, but ... man, that's just a complete dick move.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 05:23:03 PM »

Beginning to understand why those myths about him firing employees in elevators because they farted or whatever have some staying power.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 05:25:53 PM »

Well, when Apple was first gearing up to go public, he refused to give any of the engineers any stock options.  They were going to get practically nothing for building Apple, since Jobs didn't want to dilute the value of his own stock.  Wozniak, being not a sociopath, ended up just giving out some of his shares to the engineers instead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26