Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Applepocalypse  (Read 41588 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Applepocalypse
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »

Apple is essentially AOL for hipsters. Roll that around in your mouth a little. Savor the woody textures of the metaphor. They sell devices and services that are, in every way that matters, inferior to something else except in that they're stylish and uncomplicated. If you want to pay a premium to save yourself from the time necessary to learn how something works and maybe get exposed to the guts of things, sure. I can see how that's attractive. Maybe your time is so valuable that you can't spare it for that sort of geekery. More likely, you're trying to create that impression while masking the fact that you're just really fucking thick.

Won't deny there's that aspect to it, because of course there is, but UI simplicity is a good thing, too.  I'm a Linux guy, so I've spent plenty of hours working out how the guts of my OS work, and I can say without equivocation that I don't want to hack a fucking Xorg.conf ever again.  (Pretty sure we had a similar conversation a few years back but we were talking about hardware and were on opposite sides -- I suggested you build a computer instead of buying one, and you said fuck that, you'd rather spare yourself the aggravation.  Having bought one computer and built another over the course of the past two and a half years, I'm...well, still more inclined to build them, but if I were making $5K more a year I wouldn't be.)

There's plenty of padded-cell bullshit to Apple's approach to things, but I really do think being able to drag a program to the goddamn Trash is the way things should be uninstalled.  (Have I said "Fuck Windows 7's control panel" yet?  Fuck Windows 7's control panel.)

Realize I'm talking about the desktop and not the gadgets (because I own an Apple desktop and no Apple gadgets, other than an old 60GB iPod with a battery that won't hold a charge that I use mainly as an external hard drive), but the principle's the same.  Simplifying shit is not inherently wrong, and there's a lot of really brilliant UI shit Apple's done over the years that deserves its accolades and imitators.

My objection's less to the UI usability and more that the philosophy carries over to fucking absurd walled-garden shit where, well, Apple gets to tell you what language you're allowed to fucking code in if you want to develop for them.  That's not a fucking usability/QA issue, no matter how many times Jobs swears it is.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »

Windows 7 and Vista's control panel is a lot more intuitive when you've got a year of experience doing tech support for it under your belt.

Having said that, yes, fuck Windows 7's control panel.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »

My objection's less to the UI usability and more that the philosophy carries over to fucking absurd walled-garden shit where, well, Apple gets to tell you what language you're allowed to fucking code in if you want to develop for them.  That's not a fucking usability/QA issue, no matter how many times Jobs swears it is.

I'm a simple layman who is ignorant on all things technical and legal, but what exactly is the difference between this and when Microsoft was trying to tie everything Windows did to Internet Explorer to kill Netscape?  Because to me, it looks like Apple's decision here has as much to do with controlling what goes on their system as it does with making it difficult to port things other systems.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »

My objection's less to the UI usability and more that the philosophy carries over to fucking absurd walled-garden shit where, well, Apple gets to tell you what language you're allowed to fucking code in if you want to develop for them.  That's not a fucking usability/QA issue, no matter how many times Jobs swears it is.

I'm a simple layman who is ignorant on all things technical and legal, but what exactly is the difference between this and when Microsoft was trying to tie everything Windows did to Internet Explorer to kill Netscape?  Because to me, it looks like Apple's decision here has as much to do with controlling what goes on their system as it does with making it difficult to port things other systems.

The difference here is that Steve Jobs is doing it, instead of Bill Gates.  That means an absurd number of otherwise-seemingly-intelligent people will go out of their way to defend it as being a good thing, important for system stability and for the ultimate benefit of the user.

Seriously.  Facts are materially identical, but because of who's involved, it's actually seen as a colorable issue.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 07:36:43 PM »

I think the difference is that people who don't like it actually feel like they have viable alternatives, or will once Google steps up and the two of them have some sort of Kaiju Battle.

As opposed to the other scenario where Apple was like "Hey we're the viable alternative!" and people mostly laughed.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 07:53:40 PM »

Market share, in other words.
...but is it art?

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2010, 08:17:29 AM »

Guy finds lost iPhone, turns out to be development model of next iPhone.  Apple issues remote-kill command to phone.

Lots of skepticism on this one but if true, this amuses me.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:40 AM »

I find it funny that Apple products conveniently get 'stolen' 'lost' or 'leaked' right before major announcements and just happen to find their way into the hands of tech bloggers.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »

Oh like these bloggers don't root on Apple's garbage bin every day.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »

Even if that's totally made up, it's still awesome.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 09:01:33 AM »

So Gizmodo called out the guy by name who 'misplaced' the iPhone G4.

As expected, the whole thing could possibly be A PAID HOAX OR STUNT!  Shock!
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17:07 AM »

Apparently, the person who found the iPhone did so on March 18th.  He spent weeks calling the person whose phone it was, people at Apple, trying to return it, and nobody gave a shit.

Either he was being laughed off as a crank in what would be an incredibly boneheaded move even by Apple standards, or that phone was intentionally left there for someone to find.  Look at how much free press they're getting about iPhone 4G specs.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2010, 10:57:59 AM »

Yeah I don't think the whole LOL WHOOPS I TOOK THIS ULTRA-SENSITIVE PROTOTYPE TO THE LOCAL BAR AND DROPPED IT :whoops: thing is fooling a lot of people who don't already love being lied to.  Anybody who's ever been anywhere near a respectable RD department kniws that would pretty much entail a collosal, company-wide fuckup to ever happen.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »

You guys make it sound like Apple needs to trick people into giving them press to begin with.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »

Free press that doubles as making Apple seem like a noble victim full of cool, bar-hoppin' dudes?  People are denouncing Gizmodo as engaging in industrial espionage.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »

Free press that doubles as making Apple seem like a noble victim full of cool, bar-hoppin' dudes?

Public opinion of Apple has turned sour as of late. So a story of them "getting their comeuppance" would generate even more free press.

Everyone clamors to hear about how Apple got "so totally owned" and it just so happens that "new iPhone" is mentioned in tandem with that every time.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2010, 11:41:03 AM »

dear god it's just an iphone with an extra camera. it's not like it shoots fucking lasers that will make a hologram of a girl that will have sex with you. The only reason anyone cares about it is because these people have SCRATCHED THE FACE OF THEIR MIGHTY GOD.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2010, 11:43:24 AM »

dear god it's just an iphone with an extra camera. it's not like it shoots fucking lasers that will make a hologram of a girl that will have sex with you. The only reason anyone cares about it it's because these people have SCRATCHED THE FACE OF THEIR MIGHTY GOD.

Dude it has sharper edges THIS CHANGES THEIR WHOLE DESIGN MOVEMENT

:derp:

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2010, 11:44:33 AM »

I imagine the whole thing going down like that episode of Aqua-Teen Hunger Force where Shake really wants a PDA.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26