Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sherlock  (Read 4672 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Sherlock
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »

Alright I finally watched this and some answers for thad:

IOU - [spoiler]according to TVTropes, it appears three times - once near each person targeted by Moriarty.[/spoiler]

Molly - [spoiler]Sherlock needs her help. Sherlock needs to fake his death. Where does Molly work in? A morgue.[/spoiler]

Moriarty - [spoiler]Blank/fake cartridge, blood pill.[/spoiler]

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »

IOU - [spoiler]according to TVTropes, it appears three times - once near each person targeted by Moriarty.[/spoiler]

That's part of it.  But I'm thinking deeper meaning.

Molly - [spoiler]Sherlock needs her help. Sherlock needs to fake his death. Where does Molly work in? A morgue.[/spoiler]

Sure, but obviously there's more to it than that.  There are a couple of significant moments in the "death" scene -- [spoiler]Watson never gets a good look at the figure on the roof, and a bus goes by before he can get across the street to see the body[/spoiler].

And I still think there was a lookalike.

Moriarty - [spoiler]Blank/fake cartridge, blood pill.[/spoiler]

I've seen the theory but I really hope not.  Moriarty's one of the great overused villains of fiction and I'd just as soon end his story there.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 09:47:28 AM »

I don't really think that when Moriarty was all [spoiler]"BRO. ROOF. NOW." they exactly had time to rig up a fake corpse and inconspicuously lug it up there. Especially when there was a perfectly serviceable corpse lying around by the end anyway. Put a rad coat and scarf on the guy and toss him down face first. Let Mycroft and possibly Molly fix the details.[/spoiler] At least, that's what I would have done.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2012, 05:30:09 PM »

Do we talk about Sherlock in here? I just saw The Reichenbach Fall, and I thought it was a pretty damned good modernization of The Final Problem. As a Holmes fan, you know where it's going, more or less, but the journey, aside from a few beats and nods here and there, is totally unique to our times. I also very much enjoyed this version of Moriarty's pathology and ultimately his motivation in this whole business. Very well done.

EDIT: Oh, I guess we talk about it here. Months ago. Still, I liked it.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »

Welp, that first scene sure was [spoiler]an epic fucking troll.  I was almost really mad that I waited two years for that bullshit, and then BAM, unreliable narrator.  Well-played, Gatiss.[/spoiler]

On the whole, quite good.  I mean, the "main" plot about the terrorist attack felt kind of incidental; it never felt high-stakes.  [spoiler]And did Gatiss just watch V for Vendetta, or is the Guy Fawkes imagery/train full of explosives set to blow up Parliament thing just a coincidence?[/spoiler]  But of course that's not what the episode was about.  It was about Sherlock coming back, Watson having mixed emotions about it, and the mystery of how he faked his death in the first place.  I think it mostly succeeded.  [spoiler]Guess I'm irritated we don't get a straight answer on the latter, but Sherlock's version certainly seems the most plausible -- even considering it involves a giant inflatable mat and the entire street being taken over by the Baker Street Irregulars, and the guy immediately breaks down assuming it has to be bullshit.  And hey, it explicitly reinforces my theory about the corpse being a lookalike who scared that little girl, so there's that.[/spoiler]

The Sherlock/Mycroft scenes were the highlight, and funnier if you know the episode was written by the guy who plays Mycroft.  Definitely one of Gatiss's stronger scripts.

Glad to have the boys back -- for a little bit, anyway.  I haven't kept track closely enough to see whether there's confirmation that this is the last season, but I'm guessing it is between the finale's title (His Last Vow) and the fact that Cumberbatch and Freeman are both huge fucking movie stars now.  I mean, Luther is over because Idris Elba's too bigtime for BBC now, and they're both bigger than he is.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »

Wasn't Sherlock's version [spoiler]a hallucination by the fan dude[/spoiler]?

Anyway, I get what the episode wanted to say - there are any number of plausible possibilities for his survival, so it doesn't really matter which one he picked. Plus, Sherlock is the one to solve the mysteries - if he's the one setting them up, there's no one else to see through them, is there?

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 11:41:17 PM »

I think the more obvious, and possibly cynical, answer is that no one solution would have pleased the fans, so providing a couple plausible solutions, and the implication that neither of them are correct just serves to keep people from freaking the fuck out about how shitty the truth turned out to be. They might be disappointed in a non-answer, but they'd be incensed by a shitty-but-true one. It also helped this episode not be about that, which I think is good for the show and the episode. Mycroft was a treat, and I really enjoyed how much of the episode in general was played for laughs.

Apparently series 4 is already confirmed

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »

Wasn't Sherlock's version [spoiler]a hallucination by the fan dude[/spoiler]?

Entirely possible.  Indeed, more likely than Sherlock [spoiler]actually showing up to fuck with him, or dignify him with a response at all[/spoiler].

It's still the most plausible IMO.

Then again, of course that's my opinion because it's the one closest to my own suggestions.

Apparently series 4 is already confirmed

Well, what a pleasant surprise.  There's something magical about actors taking a pay cut to do something they really enjoy.

(Even when it sucks.  And fortunately, while it's had a few missteps here and there, Sherlock to date has certainly not sucked.)

Seeing as we'll be watching the finale by this time 8 days from now, it's nice to have more to look forward to.  Though who knows when it'll actually get made; British TV isn't exactly prompt even with shows whose leads AREN'T currently appearing in every third Hollywood film.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »

Has anyone overdubbed Sherlock with Hobbit 2's lines and vice versa?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »

Man if they don't put the complete story of The Elephant in the Room up on the website I am going to be bummed.

Anyway!  I thought it was great and finally broke the second-episode curse from the first two seasons.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 09:52:54 AM »

Enjoyed that one immensely, though the whole "magical aspie superhero tries to do something normal and human and weirds it all up in a good way" has been a definite recurring theme with these kinds of shows lately. It'd be getting thin even if I weren't having so damn many flashbacks to Parish's wedding.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 04:09:28 PM »

Let's see.

Fireplace, library, adult reverting to child...am I missing any?

Oh right.  That.

Yep, I do believe that's Moffat Bingo.

Still enjoyed it.  Bit disappointed about, well, That.  And I'm really hoping the ending's not what it appears.

Very good season, on the whole.  I'm calling Gatiss the MVP among the cast and Thompson among the writers.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »

OH HEY SHERLOCK GREAT DETECTIVING THERE AT END OF SEASON 3

really did he actually deduce anything in the entire of the third season beyond deciding that falling backwards is a good idea

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »

I quite enjoyed this season. The second episode was hilarious, and while I saw a lot of [spoiler]Magnussen's[/spoiler] stuff coming, [spoiler]Mary[/spoiler] completely swerved me. I mean, I knew something would be up, but not that. The very last swerve I didn't see coming because it wasn't really a puzzle. My hope is [spoiler]He's not really back, his image is just being used by someone equally dangerous.[/spoiler]

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 04:43:49 PM »

Or just [spoiler]a trick he left before he died -- the garbled voice sure does seem to indicate that it's not really him, one way or another[/spoiler].

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 07:33:24 PM »

Anything, really [spoiler]so long as it's not really him. One member of that suicide pact surviving is quite enough[/spoiler]

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 01:59:17 AM »

Actually, you know what I'd really like to see?

The "killer AI" trope's been done to death but I can't say I've seen anyone do it effectively based on current, second-decade-of-the-twenty-first-century technology.  Something like a killer Watson.  (The IBM one, not the Martin Freeman one.)

I've seen stories that came close, but they tended to hinge around the usual idea of a machine becoming conscious.  That's not what I'm talking about.  I'd like to see one where the machine is quite clearly not conscious, can't pass a Turing test, can respond accurately to simple English questions but will get confused by complex ones and start spouting nonsensical gibberish.  Something that's highly sophisticated but not actually any more sophisticated than actual technology we have right here on Earth right now.

I think there's a lot you could do with an antagonist like that.  It would be capable of extremely complex strategies and attacks but also have huge, exploitable weaknesses; it would presumably not initially occur to the heroes that they were fighting a computer instead of a person; and it could leave a trail of false clues and misdirection not because it's smart and covering its tracks but simply because computers do weird shit and the more complex the computer the more complex its math and the greater potential for it to do something and humans not to be able to figure out why it just did that.

I don't know if Sherlock's the right show to do something like that or not.  It's hit-or-miss in its treatment of modern technology, and its more science-fictional episodes tend to be problematic.

On the other hand, it's usually proven pretty good about demonstrating the limitations of technology (Irene Adler's melting phone notwithstanding), and I think it would be appropriate to follow up an episode where [spoiler]the villain turns out not to be using an advanced custom version of Google Glass but rather just to have a photographic memory[/spoiler] with one where [spoiler]Moriarty leaves a supercomputer behind to fuck with people[/spoiler].

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 03:03:26 AM »

Now I'm imagining a story where a spambot starts bringing down defense systems not because it became sentient, but because its owner just kept bolting new and more ridiculous attempts to bypass filters that it started doing insane complex shit.

Actually, that starts to sound like Stuxnet, which was complicated and yet dumb, and just kept jumping around looking for holes in every system it could find so it started spreading past the nuclear facilities in Iran it was intended for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3