Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

There's only one correct answer:

The Tracy Ullman Years
- 0 (0%)
The Christmas Special
- 0 (0%)
Season 1: Homer becomes Safety Inspector, Bleeding Gums, Sideshow Bob goes to jail
- 0 (0%)
Season 2: Treehouse of Horror 1, Blinky, Homer's brother
- 0 (0%)
Season 3: Michael Jackson, Krustofsky, Sideshow Bob marries Selma
- 0 (0%)
Season 4: Klasky-Csupo stops animating, Laura Powers, Ralph Loves Lisa, DENTAL PLAN, April 1st Clip Show
- 1 (2.7%)
Season 5: Sideshow Bob starts stalking Bart, Ruth Powers, Malibu Stacy
- 0 (0%)
Season 6: Alison Taylor, Jessica Lovejoy, Homer is accused of sexual harassment, Bleeding Gums dies, Who Shot Mr. Burns?
- 1 (2.7%)
Season 7: Maggie shot Mr. Burns, Lisa goes veg, Homer in 3D, Homer's Mom, George Bush, Apu is an illegal immigrant
- 0 (0%)
Season 8: Milhouse's parents divorce, Lisa's crush on Nelson, Ned breaks down, Skinner and Krabappel, Frank Grimes
- 7 (18.9%)
Season 9: Armin Tamzarian, Apu's gets married, An episode about Homer and Marge's sex life
- 10 (27%)
Season 10: Homer's middle initial, Homer donates a kidney, Ned and Homer get married in Vegas, Phil Hartman dies
- 5 (13.5%)
Season 11: Apu has octuplets, Maude dies, Behind the Laughter
- 8 (21.6%)
Season 12: Krusty's daughter, Homer has a crayon in his brain, Ned's amusement park
- 1 (2.7%)
Season 13: Smithers' father, Lisa's a buddhist, Greta Wolfcastle, Homer's a pothead, Never Stop the Simpsons, Apu's affair
- 0 (0%)
Season 14: Frank Grimes Jr., Krabappel dumps Skinner, "300th episode", Luke
- 0 (0%)
Season 15: Milhouse's dad gets custody, Artie Ziff, Skinner and Krabappel's non-wedding, Everyone as children, Snowball V
- 0 (0%)
Season 16: The kitchen (doesn't) get remodeled, Barney (doesn't) sober up, Patty is a lesbian, 350th episode
- 0 (0%)
Season 17: Ripping off Fairly Odd Parents, Milhouse speaks Italian, The Italian Bob, Homer's fake real father
- 1 (2.7%)
Season 18: Fat Tony's son, Homer's Vegas wife dies, Bart and Skinner's allergies, Grandpa and Selma start dating, 400th ep
- 0 (0%)
The Simpsons Movie
- 2 (5.4%)
Season 19: Ralphs runs for President, Marge has a degree, Homer's mom dies
- 0 (0%)
Season 20: Bart's twin, the opening is changed, Ned buys the Simpson house, Homer and Marge aren't legally married, Jenny
- 0 (0%)
Season 21: Marge poses for Playboy, Cool Skinner, 450th episode, Princess Penelope, Nikki McKenna
- 0 (0%)
Season 22: There's gonna be a Twilight parody and Moe's tavern will become a gay bar, among other bullshit
- 0 (0%)
It's still good!
- 1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: When did The Simpsons jump the shark?  (Read 5497 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: When did The Simpsons jump the shark?
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2010, 10:10:38 AM »

Name me one celebrity that called him on his policies after 9/11 that didn't suffer for speaking out.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »

I think it's just that Bush jr didn't lend himself to the same sort of lighthearted satire that Clinton and Bush sr did.  Making jabs at him as a person would have seemed out of place.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2010, 01:45:07 PM »

I think that liberal leaning cartoon writers were just to mad at him all the time to beable to come up with jokes that weren't just mean spirited and that didn't feel forced. I mean, if they had just made fun of him about the ranch stuff and the chain saw and things like that, I think you could have made a lot of decent jokes that don't seem mean.

A lot of people criticize Family Guy's writing all the time and Seth McFarlane definitely has his strengths and weaknesses as a comedy writer, but one thing I feel like he always did well was his portrayal of both Clinton and Bush II.

I'd actually really like someone to make fun of Obama in a decent way. Maybe they have been on SNL and I just haven't been watching, but I really think that a good Simpsons-esque(in terms of say, their Bush Sr.) depiction of him would actually be pretty funny.

I'd say that presidents lately are just dealing with too much serious shit for any one but low brow comedians to want to make fun of them, but that's bullshit. 9/11 just really did a number on fucking confusing and scaring the shit out of everyone and now no one wants to make a REAL joke unless they are really obnoxious for fear of presenting something in a stupid or insulting manner accidentally.

Wow, a country's leaders lying about why they actually invaded a country or two really messes up the head space of western society doesn't it.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2010, 03:01:59 PM »

...oh, this thread is here.  That's why I didn't know what Geo was talking about.  Should I just merge the fuckers?

Season 9 is pretty unforgivable though and has my personal least favorite episode, the one with the fossilized angel or whatever.

For my money, "It's not that I don't have a spiritual side, I just find it hard to believe there's a dead angel hanging in our garage" is a pretty perfect analogy for every religious debate ever.

And yet neither of you mentions "Why...? Why was I programmed to feel pain?"

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »

Det's got it about right.  Bush Jr. never seemed to have as much of a sense of humor about himself as his predecessors did, probably because people were always making fun of him, all his life.  There was just no room for a good-natured ribbing with that simpering wussbag.

Obama I guess has the opposite problem.  There's nothing you can make fun of him for that he hasn't already made fun of himself for much better.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2010, 04:59:13 AM »

T Geo:  "Tacos Rule".

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »

i haven't seen an episode of the simpsons in 10 years

i'm glad i stopped when i did

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2010, 07:30:23 AM »

Season 8 has Homer vs the 18th Amendment and You Only Move Twice (Hank. Motherfucking. Scorpio), so I'm voting season 9. It was all downhill from there.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2010, 06:24:23 PM »

I googled the name Armin Tamzarian and reflexively spit when I got the result.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »

The fact about that episode that everybody always glosses over is that he's obviously supposed to be some weird parody of Fonzie.

It was also apparently the last episode Ken Keeler wrote before sliding over to Futurama.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2010, 07:19:49 PM »

I have to admit that I always liked that episode somewhat, just because of "Up yours, children!"

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2010, 04:13:09 AM »

That episode is an example of a bad concept with a good execution.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2010, 06:06:53 AM »

One of the things that bothered me about post-sharkjump episodes was how the show started mortgaging running gags to make an episode, e.g. Patty coming out of the closet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]