Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77

Author Topic: 2012: The Mayans Warned Us Of Stupid Elections  (Read 82399 times)

PhoenixUltima

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: 2012: The Mayans Warned Us Of Stupid Elections
« Reply #1460 on: November 07, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »

People still give a shit about what Bill O'Reilly says?
The captain of the gravy train!

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: November 07, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »

Well, you could say the same thing about Trump, but last night those motherfuckers were on a roll. Seriously, I would have actually paid money for that kind of entertainment. Beats the piss out of me how Colbert even has a job.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1462 on: November 07, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »

The loss to Obama isn't what's surprising. What comes as more of a shock is that the GOP failed to not only take the Senate but actually managed to lose seats to the Dems.

Weeeeell it's not altogether surprising that Massachusetts kicked out a Republican.

What really surprises me is how little of a difference huge amounts of superpac money made in this election. A lot of candidates who outspent their opponents by 2:1 or more ended up losing handily.

That may be the most important thing to come out of this election.  Fuck Rove, fuck Adelson, fuck SuperPACs, and fuck Citizens United.

Looks like the trend is drifting toward less obstructionism in the second term already.  The GOP establishment is waking up to a warm cup of the idea that just because they can effectively block every single thing the President does, doesn't mean they should.  The current mandate means that we can go right off the fiscal cliff and it'll get pinned 100% on the House.  It may even be BETTER for Obama to have a red House under him - after all, he's starting to warm up to his predecessor's tricks, and his predecessors FAVORITE trick has always been turning to the obvious scapegoat.

Of course, that's all neighing from the head of the horse.  Whether the head is going to be at all successful at leading the ass remains to be seen.

Well, right, but none of that's anything new.  Boehner was ready to deal a year and a half ago; it's the Tea Partiers that forced this sequestration nonsense on him.

And there's no mandate.  Popular vote was 50-48, House and Senate stayed more or less where they were.  Obama got a whole lot more electoral votes, but the country's as divided as it was two years ago.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: November 07, 2012, 07:10:35 PM »

Fuck Rove, fuck Adelson, fuck SuperPACs, and fuck Citizens United.

Also mysogynists.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: November 08, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »

I make it a point to say loudly to the check-out clerk, "EBT, what is that for?" She inevitably says, "it's government assistance." I respond, "Oh, you mean welfare? Great. I work for a living. I'm paying for my food with my own hard-earned dollars. And other people get their food for free." And I look around with disgust, making sure others in line have heard me.

lost it here

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: November 08, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »

:glee:

Thanks, right wing libertarians. You always know just the right thing to brighten my day.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: November 08, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »

thunderbirdslaughing.gif

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: November 08, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1469 on: November 08, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »

Just watched Stewart's righteous beatdown of the Fox News coverage I missed because I was watching Stewart.

Must reiterate my bafflement that people were surprised by the "47% of Americans want handouts" comments, because it was pretty much Sarah Palin and Bill O'Reilly weeping in their Coors Light that 50% of Americans want handouts.  Except Mitt was slightly less overtly racist about the whole thing.

I'm not quite ready to crown Nate Silver as Hari Seldon just yet but I have to say I find his work fascinating as hell, and without question we live in an age of unprecedented statistical analysis.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: November 08, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »

http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2012/11/the-end-of-liberty-in-america-only.html?spref=tw

:leaving:

However, for me, I'm choosing another rather unique path; a personal boycott, if you will. Starting early this morning, I am going to un-friend every single individual on Facebook who voted for Obama, or I even suspect may have Democrat leanings.

This doesn't sound like the horrible thing he thinks it is.

Going to start spreading this around to see if I can get Libertarians to stop talking to.... anyone.

Mazian

• Lullaby Supermarket
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: November 08, 2012, 08:49:25 PM »

This is master strategy.  America may not have listened to billions of dollars worth of carefully targeted Republican campaign ads, but by God they will listen to some guy yelling in line at Safeway.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1472 on: November 08, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »

Maybe not "going away", but the GOP talking heads are already nearly unanimous in its opinion that moral extremism has flipped from an asset to a liability.

Yeah, they were four years ago, too.

Party leaders acknowleding a problem and primary voters acknowledging a problem are very different things.  Especially if the leaders change their tune every two years depending on whether the crazies are winning or losing elections.

Adding: Sane people may know that George Allen is not going to win an election because most people don't like racists.  And yet, here we are again.

Democratic primary voters have the same problem, of course -- remember that their master strategy for recalling Scott Walker was to nominate the same fucking guy he'd already beaten once.

I've noted before that primaries are supposed to be an exercise in minmax.  And as with drawing conclusions from polls, sample size is probably the most important factor.  On a national level, primary voters ARE pretty damn good at picking the nominee who best balances their own pet agendas with general electability -- Romney may have lost the general, but he WAS the Republicans' best shot.  So was McCain, so was Bush, so was Dole, and so on; on the flipside, so were Obama and Clinton, and Kerry and Gore were at least PERCEIVED that way even if I'm not inclined to agree.

I think people voting in presidential primaries are going to look at guys like Akin and Mourdock and cringe at the idea of nominating anyone that extreme.

But I also think people voting in congressional primaries are going to look at Romney and cringe at the idea of nominating anyone so lacking in conviction.

Large groups will correct to the center (or whatever's perceived as such); smaller groups are likelier to produce outliers.

Speaking of which -- my district is apparently STILL too close to call.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: November 09, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »

The top three stories today are about people losing their jobs.

THANKS OBAMA

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: November 09, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »

Instead of talking about how wrong their "math" was the conservative media (or at least Rush Limbaugh earlier today) is talking about how it is no longer a white America.

So I guess 2016 will look like 2012.

PhoenixUltima

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: November 10, 2012, 05:28:46 PM »

Obama wins Florida, final electoral vote tally is 332. Given that Fox News is also running the story, I think we can call this one a wrap.

Daaaaaaamn, that is one hell of a lead. Romney just got fucking obliterated in this race didn't he? I mean there's losing and then there's out and out failure. This is less like barely coming in second place and more like sitting in the middle of the racetrack and shitting your pants.
The captain of the gravy train!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1476 on: November 10, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »

And there's no mandate.  Popular vote was 50-48, House and Senate stayed more or less where they were.  Obama got a whole lot more electoral votes, but the country's as divided as it was two years ago.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: November 10, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »

In retrospect, Bush had about a slightly (and I'm talking .1-.2 percentage points) larger margin and fewer electoral votes, and the press was all over calling that a mandate.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: November 10, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »

I tells ya, Obama's got a mandate...

...WITH JOE BIDEN!

Laugh track

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: November 10, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »

More like Chris Christie.

But yeah, this makes official the fact that Romney did not take a single swing state.  That's what Republicans are worried about: they have very effectively made themselves unpalatable to EVERYONE but the deep red (which is what generally happens when you tell them they don't matter), and those sectors are diminishing in power every year.  That's their challenge now - reaching out to the middle after 12 years of for-us-or-go-die.  And it probably won't happen until they manage to excise the elements within themselves that still think that way.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77