Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Walking Dead: The TV Show  (Read 8558 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead: The TV Show
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2012, 06:34:53 PM »

No love for Michonne?

I'm starting to warm up to Michonne. It's hard not to warm up to somebody who decapitates zombies with a katana.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »

Trying to decide how I feel about the finale.

Big Major Character Death: [spoiler]So what?  It's fucking TV Andrea.  Plus it's like Shining-level anticlimax.  What the fuck was the point of all that shit with the pliers?  Or the entire episode she spent running away?  I was figuring, when just Rick, Michonne, and Darryl left for Woodbury, that Darryl was the doomed one.  THAT would have been upsetting.[/spoiler]

Outcome of Attack: [spoiler]So they're staying in the prison.  I guess that makes sense.  The new population makes for one hell of a difference in status quo -- I think we've got more people in the prison on the TV show than they did in the comic.[/spoiler]

Woodbury: [spoiler]Okay, so they kinda yadda-yadda'd over a great big honkin' bunch of stuff.  Did anybody stay?  It's kind of a nicer place to live than the prison.  Did anybody think Karen might be lying?  Is there a particular reason the Governor and his henchmen didn't go back to Woodbury if he thought he'd killed all the witnesses?  WILL he go back to Woodbury if it's deserted now?[/spoiler]

Fate of the Governor: [spoiler]Kind of hate that he's still alive to come back later.  Would have been nice to finish his arc, have Andrea kill him or something.  What happens when he inevitably comes back?  Will he have a whole new town of psychopaths behind him?  Is the show just going to leapfrog issues #51-#99 and just put the Governor in place of Negan in the current comic story arc?[/spoiler]

Season as a whole: big changes compared to the comic; lots of surprises.  Pacing a lot better this time around -- on the whole it was just as decompressed as season 2 but used that decompression a lot more effectively.  An entire episode spent on a chase through a warehouse made for pretty fucking amazing drama, [spoiler]though again, having Andrea just wind up dead anyway kinda trivializes the whole thing[/spoiler].

Welp, now on to Doctor Who and Game of Thrones.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2013, 09:28:37 PM »

[spoiler]I actually LIKED the fact that Andrea died anyway AFTER all that shit. I think it reminds the audience that tropes don't apply: Death is real and can occur no matter what you think "should" happen.[/spoiler]

Of course, you can make an argument that it was bad storytelling, which I'm not gonna argue with. I just like that anyone can die at any time in general, no matter what shit you think is making them "safe". Adds overall to the tension of the series.

RE: everything else: Agree.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »

Of course, you can make an argument that it was bad storytelling, which I'm not gonna argue with.

Yeah, that's part of it.

I just like that anyone can die at any time in general, no matter what shit you think is making them "safe".

Not really entirely true.  The TV show's already pulled punches -- (comic spoiler) [spoiler]the Governor spent two issues raping Michonne before she got free and spent the next issue torturing him[/spoiler], and (really major but years-old comic spoiler) [spoiler]his attack on the prison climaxed in Lori and Judith being simultaneously shot to death[/spoiler].  I'm pretty damn confident that's not going to happen on the show; I don't expect a basic-cable show to cross that line, no matter how vicious it's been up to this point.

The comic, by contrast, is a bit more beholden to storytelling tropes.  It's still true that any character can die, but the "at any time" qualifier isn't really active.  A major character who's been in the series since the beginning was killed off in issue #100; that character would not have been killed off in, say, #104.  And, even given that qualifier, Kirkman still picked the most likely character to pick off -- hell, the villain even ticked off all the storytelling reasons against killing off each character ("I can't kill you, people will think I'm racist; I can't kill you because YOUR story's obviously not finished yet...").

Actually the show's kinda in the same boat.  This was one of the biggest character deaths of the season (second-biggest, I'd say) and they saved it for the finale.  And it was still [spoiler]a character I wasn't sorry to lose[/spoiler].  Hell, same with the other major character death, come to that.

So Walking Dead, comic and show, may be LESS bound by The Rules than other stories, but it's still bound by them.

Also, I'm going to call one more time that Carl is the one character who is completely safe in both versions.  (Well, I mean, not COMPLETELY safe; he can be wounded, disfigured, subjected to any number of horrible punishments.  But he's the one character I am confident will survive to the end of the story.)

The comic's in kind of a tough spot right now because it's running out of characters I care about and hasn't really introduced any new ones in about 50 issues.  I mean, there are characters I LIKE, but if, say, Jesus gets an arrow in his back this month it's not going to have the kind of emotional impact that it would if it was Comic Andrea.

I think the problem is (1) it's been running for-damn-ever at this point and (2) the knowledge that sooner or later all these characters are going to die makes it hard to invest much in the new ones.

I think the TV show's at a real advantage over the comic, though, because it's got actors who can make bland characters more appealing.

Plus it's still got a pretty good supply of characters who've been around since the beginning, while the comic's down to...4, I think?  Plus 2 more who were part of the cast before issue #30 and FEEL like they've been around since the beginning.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2013, 07:53:20 AM »

hell, the villain even ticked off all the storytelling reasons against killing off each character ("I can't kill you, people will think I'm racist; I can't kill you because YOUR story's obviously not finished yet...")

Goddamn it Kirkman, either make your comic meta or don't. Cutesy moments like that are just eye-rolling.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »

Well, *I* laughed.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2013, 04:24:58 PM »

Original version of [spoiler]Andrea's[/spoiler] death was even more horrifying.

tl;dr [spoiler]Milton turns and is gnawing on her when Tyrese finds her; no Rick or Michonne.[/spoiler]

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2013, 09:07:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]