Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 45

Author Topic: News from the North  (Read 59677 times)

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: News from the North
« Reply #660 on: May 24, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »

Quote from: Pot
Kettle has had three major riots in two years, almost daily riots since February and the United Utensils has two different investigations monitoring Kettle's treatment of its poor, aboriginals, and blacks. Your manufacturing sector is a basket case, none of your universities rank in the world's top 20, your largest technology company is on the verge of collapse and you are unable to protect yourselves, relying on the Pot to do it.

You've convinced yourselves you're the most virtuous people on earth but you're no prize. Everything you are you owe to things you find in the ground or growing on it and the fact that you are a short walk from the largest economy in the world.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 24, 2012, 06:20:20 PM »

What are the daily riots?
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 24, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »

A comedy newspaper, I presume.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 24, 2012, 07:15:42 PM »

@ Brent and Zed: Yeah, but "Ha ha, the US is even WORSE OFF!" is not what I'd call much of a consolation.

I mean the post is mostly just a bunch of overblown claptrap, but it sure does feel like we've decided to race for the bottom. It's not even something you can entirely lay at Harper's feet - there's entirely too much acceptance for most of his plan. This is reinforced by the few times things a public outcry DID kill something stupid, like the surveillance bill, or the abortion issue as an undead bogeyman rather than a live issue, which show it CAN be done. That's just the way things are going.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 24, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »

A comedy newspaper, I presume.

I gather the writer meant the Quebec protests.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 24, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »

Yeah, the student protests here for sure. Charest's a shitbag but what else is new. I'm simultaneously surprised and not surprised at how they don't seem to be common knowledge outside of Québec.

I mean the post is mostly just a bunch of overblown claptrap, but it sure does feel like we've decided to race for the bottom.

I'm not going to pretend everything is rosy in La Belle Province and that separation would solve everything, but given my usual political inclinations I'm not going to be difficult to convince that Canada is heading to a horrible place.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 24, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »

[Calgarian asshole]See how you like it with no Equalization payments![/Calgarian asshole]

Hmmmm, I could probably remove the word "asshole", actually.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 24, 2012, 08:43:36 PM »

Eh, we'd manage eventually. Though it may be even harder than I expect with the way Charest is hell-bent on basically giving away every last natural resource we have to foreign interests. I'm almost convinced the man is intentionally crippling us so we'll never split.

EDIT: Also, all the equalization payments in the world aren't worth having the words "fetus rights" uttered in Parliament ever again.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 24, 2012, 10:00:43 PM »

Well, that wasn't an actual argument (hence the tags).

Also, if the rumbling is to be believed, one current suspicion is that Harper's about to argue for blowing up equalization. Not just because he wants revenge on Quebec, but also to give Ontario a big fuck-you.

Because if there's one thing you can always count on, it's an Ontarian's apathy in the face of government abuse.

Harper can't completely eliminate the program since it's constitutional, but the formula's subject to such jiggery-pokery he could functionally gut it (boy is he ever on a roll for pissing off Atlantic Canada... for EI then - maybe - equalization).

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 29, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »

For those of you who have not seen this afternoon's breaking news: Someone is leaving packages with actual human body parts at the Conservative headquarters in Ottawa

What the fuck.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 31, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 11, 2012, 01:22:47 PM »

So there's some noise about the budget omnibus bill because it's basically the Harpo clowns ramming through a giant pile of legislation with no scrutiny at all.

This in and of itself is not that crazy. In fact a series of jokes is based on just quoting Harper's complaints about the Liberals doing the same thing verbatim. But it's certainly a much more egregious example of such a bill.

I've been reading about it pretty frequently and though I had something of a handle on all the little "surprises" they were trying to bury in it. Boy was I wrong.

Today, in another article on the Bill, the Globe mentions that the bill "would allow American enforcement agents to arrest Canadian citizens on Canadian soil.".

Not only is this the first I've seen of this anywhere, they mention this totally in passing, with no elaboration whatsoever.

A quick search shows additional information in just one article. That article is vague enough (well, it IS Yahoo) that it is not particularly reassuring.

Man, I don't know that this kind of bullshit will matter in the end, since Canadians seem like they'll stand for just about anything. But Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, at this rate it wouldn't surprise me if we woke up next week to hear press-gangs were legal again. And the press seems to have ENTIRELY missed/ignored what would be a big paper seller/ratings booster.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 11, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »

Maybe there's a legislative cause allowing the proscription of journalists that report negatively on matters of the state.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 11, 2012, 01:44:49 PM »

If there is, it's probably buried in that omnibus bill.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #674 on: June 12, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »

Doctorow mentioned giving jurisdiction to US law enforcement in the context of the not-dead-yet warrantless surveillance bill, but I hadn't heard of it being added to the budget.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 19, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »

Wonder how long it'll be before the CBC gets that letter.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 19, 2012, 10:13:55 AM »

Omnibus Bill passes

:tldr: Harper just handed the care of the environment over to Big Business.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 19, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »

We haven't truly given a shit about the environment for over fifteen years, if not longer.

In fact the most environmentally forward-thinking Prime Minister we ever has was Brian Mulroney.

Why start now?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 21, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 45