Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Nintendo Handheld Headache Machine  (Read 9845 times)

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Nintendo Handheld Headache Machine
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »

Nintendo has no plans to offer the GBA virtual console games for sale to the general public in the future?

That doesn't sound like good news to me.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »

Yes it is great that later buyers will be locked out of Metroid Fusion and WarioWare are you nuts?!?!?!?!?!

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 08:18:13 AM »

They said they have no plans to release them to the general public. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't.
Remember when they said they wouldn't reprint Super Mario All-Stars Wii?
On the other hand maybe they're be massive trolls and one of the GBA games will be [spoiler]Mother 3[/spoiler]. :troll:

Also, I actually like that they're giving me all this stuff for being an early adopter. It's a surprisingly nice move for the cruel gaming world of 2011.

Sony: yeah, sorry some dude has your credit card. And that we kinda took a while to tell you. Look, take these two-to-four free games and we'll call it even.
Nintendo: yeah, sorry for jumping the gun on the 3DS. Look, take these twenty free games and we'll call it even.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 08:39:36 AM »

1. Sony's free games were actually decent modern games, not a bunch of emulated rerereleases that are available to anyone with a lack of ethics and minor cmputer savvy.
2. Hand-wringing aside, most of us didn't actually lose anything from the hack.
3. Sony didn't screw other customers out of anything to make the victims feel better.
4. Nintendo hasn't really apologized for all the privacy breaches that regularly occur with the 3DS that they perpetrated.

I don't mean to sound like such a Sony apologist/Nintendo basher here but if you're really going to compare the two, consider all that.  Honestly it seems like Nintendo's just going to accomplish making both sides of the situation feel kind of fucked over.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 08:46:26 AM »

So, can someone explain to me how not releasing these games to the general public is going to get them more money? I mean, it won't be coming from me, because I'm getting them for free. Does Nintendo expect all of their hardware to sell without any software to go on it? This isn't even like them refusing to bring whatever japanese games over, because that would actually take work. Here, the work is already done, and Nintendo is just refusing to sell games.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 08:51:23 AM »

it's good because fuck latecomers :perfect:
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2011, 08:52:52 AM »

On the other hand maybe they're be massive trolls and one of the GBA games will be [spoiler]Mother 3[/spoiler]

Your hopeless dreams are funny to me.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »

On the other hand maybe they're be massive trolls and one of the GBA games will be [spoiler]Mother 3[/spoiler]

Your hopeless dreams are funny to me.
:joke:

In all seriousness though, since they wouldn't have to worry about distribution costs, maybe they will look into it. I don't think anybody expected Sin and Punishment to be released in America ever and look what happened there.

So, can someone explain to me how not releasing these games to the general public is going to get them more money? I mean, it won't be coming from me, because I'm getting them for free. Does Nintendo expect all of their hardware to sell without any software to go on it? This isn't even like them refusing to bring whatever japanese games over, because that would actually take work. Here, the work is already done, and Nintendo is just refusing to sell games.
Remember when Nintendo said they would never reprint Super Mario All-Stars?

My guess is that they're just saying they have no plans to make them available to the general public so that the super stupid-hardcore people buy a 3DS while it's still $250; and then six months later they can open the GBA Virtual Console with those titles due to fan demand.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2011, 09:38:22 AM »

and then the early adopters of the free gba virtual console can get five free game gear games

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2011, 10:24:47 AM »

Well, maybe this will mollify the guy at Talking Time who was all mad that he bought a 3DS for a game that will never be released.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2011, 10:26:16 AM »

In all seriousness though, since they wouldn't have to worry about distribution costs, maybe they will look into it.

Again, hopeless, funny to me.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2011, 10:28:44 AM »

1. Sony's free games were actually decent modern games, not a bunch of emulated rerereleases that are available to anyone with a lack of ethics and minor cmputer savvy.
1. Sony's free games were games I could have bought for thirty to sixty nonrefundable dollars off a shelf the previous week, not a bunch of games that ordinarily can't be legally played on current-generation hardware and are no longer sold in stores.

(referring to the GBA titles specifically)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »

They didn't say they're never going to release them. They said that they have no plans to release them. It's standard corporate ass-covering. Nintendo would have to be even dumber than I thought if they develop a reliable GBA emulator for 3DS and then not sell it.

I hope that the practice of compensating early adopters becomes a trend.
...but is it art?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2011, 12:18:39 AM »

Related: Nintendo's aggressive shift toward the casual gamer market may have just been so much rope in the long run.  The thing about casual gamers is that they're lucrative, yeah, but they're also finicky; they don't have much brand loyalty almost by definition.  It's pretty natural that a platform that offers more dumb convenience (read: carrying less shit around) comes along it'll wipe those people right offa the balance sheet.

Nintendo's Nintendo, though.  If they can stop drinking their own punch there's still a somewhat-irritated-but-still-pretty-affectionate fanbase out there ready to come back.  Maybe if they can come up with a device that hooks up to modern televisions and doesn't cause migraines they'll get right offa this train they're on.

Dooly

• Who?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2011, 01:34:30 AM »

Maybe if they can come up with a device that hooks up to modern televisions and doesn't cause migraines they'll get right offa this train they're on.

Wouldn't that just be the Wii U?
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:
:painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful: :painful:

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2011, 10:52:22 AM »

I feel so torn.  I haven't gotten a 3DS because I was hoping they'd come out with new colors soon.  Come to find out, the 3DS is selling like butts, so they're about to put the retail price down to $170.  Now that sounds awesome to me, but then I read a little further, and it turns out if you bought the old-priced models, you are getting a ton of free stuff and exclusive games down the road to make up for you paying the extra $60-70, and I like free things better than $70.  Do I buy it this week to make sure I have access to the free things, or do I keep waiting and waiting for an eternity til they come out with a new color?

Edit: I didn't read any previous posts, so lols.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »

Edit: I didn't read any previous posts, so lols.
This whole "girlfriend" facade is just falling apart, Kazz.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2011, 11:09:13 AM »

find a place that has price protection or matching or something and buy it and then go HEY WAIT GUYS I JUST BOUGHT THIS THING WHAT GIVES

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »

find a place that has price protection or matching or something and buy it and then go HEY WAIT GUYS I JUST BOUGHT THIS THING WHAT GIVES

I don't know where that would work locally.  But it's an awesome idea if I can find some place that does.  I will have to consider that.  I may just break down and buy one tomorrow--they haven't released anything I know about as far as colors go anywhere else, so I may be waiting for literally nothing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6