Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street  (Read 36172 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 08:12:23 AM »

The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him your friend.

And then BAM!  Fork in the eye.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »

Massive police raid descends on Occupy Oakland protests

Pretty brutal stuff. Around 500 cops attacked the camp, beating the protesters and using flashbangs and tear gas to clear out the camp.

I'm slowly losing faith in the Occupy movement (Anarchism in the dominating philosophy, and combined with a solely "Increase taxes" message leaves the entire thing limp), but the brutalization of non-violent protesters is and always shall be a sign of the dominating hegemony of the plutocracy.

An Oakland photography has a gallery up of the incident.

But really this image says it best:

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »

Yup, totally weird that a huge movement with thousands of people in one of the most well known parts of one of the well known cities in the world that's going on for weeks gets a bigger reaction than five dudes at some place and time no one knew or gave a fuck about.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »

That looks more like reasons to bring guns to your rallies.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2011, 10:58:55 AM »

In attempt to stop an idiotic arguement I agree with both of you. Basically, the reaction was completely without marit, but the tea party thing was probably a few of old white people doing old white people stuff.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »

Yup, totally weird that a huge movement with thousands of people in one of the most well known parts of one of the well known cities in the world that's going on for weeks gets a bigger reaction than a huge movement with hundreds of thousands of people in some of the most well known parts of some of the well known cities in the world that went on for months.

If there are examples of Tea Party rallies, armed or otherwise, being broken up by police with riot gear and tear gas, I'd be interested to hear of them.

And you can split all the hairs you want about the specific image Constantine posted, but maybe Google the phrase "tea party" rally guns before you suggest that it was a totally isolated case.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2011, 11:07:21 AM »

All I'm suggesting is that I would have to google it.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2011, 11:10:22 AM »

I freely admit that the Tea Party rally in that one is lackluster (the image also lacks context, so I don't know if it's just the outside of a larger group or what), but during the heyday of the Tea Party movement, there were large protests where people proudly displayed all many of high-powered automatic weaponry. And still the police concentration was light and cordial.

But the point of the image is not the size of the protest, it is the police brutality of non-violent protesters. That kind of shit is unacceptable no matter who is doing the protesting. This wasn't about maintaining law and order, this was about breaking up the camp as forcefully as possible.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2011, 11:13:18 AM »

If you need Google to tell you that the Tea Party includes Second Amendment enthusiasts, then I don't think the problem is their insignificant numbers.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »

more to tell me they're doing something anyone gives a fuck about

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »

I wonder what the Tea Party spin on this will be.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »

more to tell me they're doing something anyone gives a fuck about

...so did you just, like, sit 2010 out, or what?

The Tea Party was kind of a big deal.

I wonder what the Tea Party spin on this will be.

It's a good question.

The establishment guys -- the Republican leadership, the Fox News pundits -- are deep into their typical game of double-standards, talking about how Occupy Wall Street is a dangerous mob and blah-de-blah, but of course we've seen the Tea Party proper isn't really very good at falling in line behind the Republican establishment.

As I've said before, there are of course sharp ideological differences between the Tea Party and OWS, but ultimately they have more in common than not.

And I imagine thinking peaceful protesters shouldn't get brained by local law enforcement is one of those commonalities.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2011, 12:57:01 PM »

You keep on imagining that.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2011, 01:13:43 PM »

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. I mean, fuck all if you have to do five seconds of work on the Internet. But anyway, you're much, much more likely to have to Google OWS, as the Tea Party got roughly a million times the media coverage and was much more accurate in that coverage, so... fuck, I don't even know what that would mean because your post is so stupid.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2011, 01:18:04 PM »

You keep on imagining that.

Nah, seriously, though -- there are folks at the fringe who won't give an inch on anything, and there are plenty of people well beyond the fringe who don't have any problem JOKING about cracking hippie skulls.

But by and large, protest groups don't like seeing other protest groups' skulls cracked, even if for only self-interested reasons.

(Similarly, the largest bipartisan outcry I've ever seen against Sheriff Joe was when the publishers of the New Times were arrested.  Even the most right-wing bloggers and publishers got that this was not a precedent they wanted.)

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. I mean, fuck all if you have to do five seconds of work on the Internet. But anyway, you're much, much more likely to have to Google OWS, as the Tea Party got roughly a million times the media coverage and was much more accurate in that coverage, so... fuck, I don't even know what that would mean because your post is so stupid.

...People think I am incapable of restraint and diplomacy.  But if that were true, my responses would have looked a lot more like Rico's.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2011, 01:36:28 PM »

Are you seriously both being that dense? Obviously yes I was saying that I've never heard of the Tea Party because that is a thing that can happen.

Certainly it wasn't a point about how it has been impossible for me to leave my house or look at these boards and not know that shit is going on with OWS, but hell if I can think of the last time the tea party was actually doing anything that people seemed to actually give the slightest of fucks about.

Which goes back to the point of how maybe OWS is getting attention because it's fucking GETTING ATTENTION where as the tea parties do so much stupid shit that you would have to be looking at least somewhat to find out what the most recent bullshit is.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »

Are you seriously both being that dense? Obviously yes I was saying that I've never heard of the Tea Party because that is a thing that can happen.

Call us stupid and go straight to the strawman.  All righty then; serves me right for not just calling you a dumbass in the first place.  Lesson learned.

(Point two about my general lack of restraint and diplomacy is that every single goddamn time I exercise them it turns out to be a waste of my time.  Remember the year or two I spent acting like maybe Guild wasn't just fucking with us?)

Certainly it wasn't a point about how it has been impossible for me to leave my house or look at these boards and not know that shit is going on with OWS, but hell if I can think of the last time the tea party was actually doing anything that people seemed to actually give the slightest of fucks about.

Your mayfly attention span isn't my problem any more than your abject ignorance.

Which goes back to the point of how maybe OWS is getting attention because it's fucking GETTING ATTENTION where as the tea parties do so much stupid shit that you would have to be looking at least somewhat to find out what the most recent bullshit is.

Whether the Tea Party has made news this week or not (protip: it has) is completely goddamned irrelevant to Constantine's point.  And my point.  And Rico's point.  Which is that this shit did not happen to the Tea Party.

So, okay.  Bluntly: do you really not understand the very very obvious point of the comparison between the two things, or are you simply pretending not to?

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »

First off (so you can decide to deflect the post based off one line) saying how you're too nice a guy to word things harshly or you would be wording things harshly just makes you a passive-aggressive dick, not not a dick.

But on to the actual point. Tea party is a group. OWS is an event. Yes, it is different that an event was broken up and people were arrested than an entire group, which feels like you're trying to argue but I know you're not actually an idiot so it's kind of confusing.

I'm also not trying to say they're not irrelevant. I said exactly what I meant, that's why I chose those words to use. I can not avoid information about OWS, it is thrown in my face at every twist and turn. I don't have to look it up because as the person having this experience I can tell you that there has never been a tea party event that has attracted this much attention the way this has for as long. I don't even know where you got the shit about the difference between them being armed or not. Not that I'm saying police would've been less likely to act as they did had everyone been armed.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »

You seem to be predicating these awkward statements on the twin ideas of "The OWS Movement has a lot of current media coverage" and "There is no central OWS group."

Have you considered the possibility that there actually is a central OWS group, and you don't know about it because it hasn't gotten a lot of media coverage?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »

Digression:

You know, it occurred to me that part of the reason people are going on about how we're "Stifling our geniuses" and "Punishing our brightest" is because the corollary to the line about people believing they're "temporarily inconvenienced millionaires" is that they also believe they're stifled geniuses.

Or maybe people are just drawing the wrong lessons from watching The Incredibles on loop too many times.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26