Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 101

Author Topic: The Rynwold Pantheon (D&D 4e)  (Read 86431 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Rynwold Pantheon (D&D 4e)
« Reply #1620 on: December 10, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »

Vivi pats Cogs on the head. "That's a pretty good solution, it keeps gobbledegooks away. Hmm.. hey Cogs, there's a locked door downstairs, do you know anything about that? And why can't you access Floor 7?"

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: December 10, 2012, 08:44:33 AM »

Ampersand, meanwhile, keeps crouched in the corner downstairs, staring at the door as if he was expecting something to burst forth at any moment.

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: December 10, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »

"Floor 7 is blocked. Some sort of transparent wall prevents entry."

"The door downstairs is locked with a simple mechanical key. The robed person locked it from the other side."

"He also drew a large rune on the door before he went through. I wonder what that does?"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: December 10, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »

Vivi holds Cogs in a one-armed over-head "hug", like a box under her arm as she thinks out loud, rubbing her chin. Then alternating ends of her horns, but ultimately ending with her chin. "If we head upstairs, we'll do trap-clearing work for that other guy, who went downstairs first anyway. Maybe there's a power source down there... either way, he skipped the Good Luck Gate at the top for a reason."

High Intelligence, check.

Middling Wisdom, go!

"... So go set off the rune. Maybe push Cousin into it, then break the lock. We're probably in a race now!" Giggles, holding hand up to cover mouth at the scandalous yet necessary briskness of her statement.

(Ideally this means we go trigger the door via skill check, action, or at least letting JD know we're actually waiting until something happens. I'd say that last tactic is a potential bad idea aside from figuring an Ambush is worth the risk of Robed Person doing something catastrophic downstairs. All this reasoning would line up with what we know and what Vivi would think, so let's pick something and go. If you want me to do it, my door-busting options are Arcana +11 and Zapping It.)

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: December 10, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »

(out of curiosity was my perception check too low for Ampersand to see the rune, or would that have had to have been a thievery or dungeonering check for trap, or arcana for magic?)

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: December 10, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »

You can't see the rune with Perception. It's invisible.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: December 10, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »

"That's how you know you got your money's worth with invisible runes. If you can't see 'em, job well done."

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: December 10, 2012, 11:05:45 PM »

(To be specific: you can notice the rune with a sufficiently high Perception, but not with a 19. You'd have better luck if you specifically searched the door. Now that the guys upstairs know there's a rune, it should be easy to find.)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 11, 2012, 08:30:15 AM »

"There's a rune downstairs we gotta set off?" Briar ponders for a moment. She sighs. "Okay, so, we head back down there." She starts to trudge back down the stairs.

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: December 11, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »

Thievery disables a rune trap the same as any trap. You get +2 if you have thieves' tools handy, and failure by more than 5 triggers the trap.

The effect of the rune, and the conditions under which it triggers, are unknown.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: December 12, 2012, 02:11:15 AM »

Francisca follows back down. "I hope there's not too many more stairs past that door, I'm already pretty sick of stairs."

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: December 13, 2012, 09:30:18 AM »

(I apologize for my absence. Back now.)

Pitamaha was quite bemused by Cogs, but kept his comments to himself out of politeness. "How curious!" he mumbled. "Something new under the sun, although it be not under the sun."

He followed the others. "I regret that such matters as this are all rather beyond me," he said. "for I am best acquainted with strongholds not empty but full. However - O Cogs, pray tell us - dwell others of thy kind here?"

With an impressive Endurance skill, stairs are of no concern to him. Perhaps he will carry a bag for someone who is tired, but no, Vivi, he will not carry you.
...but is it art?

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: December 13, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »

Cogs whirs for a bit.

"Yes. My former employers are working downstairs. At an estimate: six thousand, one hundred and forty-five... with a margin of error of around four thousand."

"Not me, though. Cogs is freelance now. I'm thinking of becoming an adventurer. Where can I get one of those metal hats?"

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: December 13, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »

Vivi scowls at Grandpa before putting on her most pleasant and sing-song voice for Cogs. "I'll make you one." BEST FRIENDS.

"So... the door. The rune." Stares at the back of Cousin's head. "Let's set it off. Or disarm it. Well, you know. Things tend to be inactive after they explode the first time." ... Steps back behind Grandpa. Darts back out and picks up Cogs, then hides again.

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: December 13, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »

Arcana can also disarm runes.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: December 13, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »

(okay so everyone is downstairs and & knows about a rune now I guess.)

thievery
1d20 +14
2 + 14 = 16

Ampersand has evidently replaced his d20 with a d6 for this tower.

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: December 13, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »

The rune sparks.

Gus, Pitamaha and Vivi were upstairs talking to Cogs, and didn't say they were going downstairs. Ampersand, Francisca and Briar were downstairs. Kazrac, unfortunately, picked this time to follow Francisca back downstairs just as the rune triggered.

Silent ghosts trail from the rune like smoke and quickly fill your lungs, suffocating away your breath.

Ampersand takes 24 necrotic damage.
Briar takes 24 necrotic damage.
Francisca takes 24 necrotic damage.
Kazrac takes 24 necrotic damage.

The spirits continue to suffocate you (save ends). On a failed save, roll Endurance DC20 or lose a healing surge. On a successful save, it leaves you, but...

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: December 13, 2012, 08:21:24 PM »

Francisca collapses, holding her throat, coughing and spluttering, her lungs burning.
Saving throw

1d20 > 10
17 ... success

[I accidentally did the endurance roll first, when I had to do the save instead, I'm pretty stoked that i wasted my natural 20 on a useless action]

Endurance Roll

1d20 +4 > 20
20 + 4 = 24 ... success

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: December 13, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »

You also get a saving throw to end the effect entirely. You only have to make Endurance rolls each time you fail the saving throw.

JDigital

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: December 13, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »

Francisca takes another 24 necrotic damage.

The spirit dissapates back out of you again, but injures you sharply as it leaves.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 86 87 ... 101