Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Mr Pembrook and the Curious Rendezvous (Week 3-2)  (Read 15000 times)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Pembrook and the Curious Rendezvous (Week 3-2)
« Reply #240 on: January 01, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »

Pembrook: Passive Insight leads you to round the corner back to the front lobby, where the secretary obliviously reads the Gateway Herald. She either went outdoors, successfully lost you entirely or took the other hallway you were led away from when you first came in as an unstealthed guest.

Doran: I'll need some manner of skill-check here. Diplomacy or Bluff are my first suggestions.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 01, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »

Doran's Diplomacy
1d20 +14
12 + 14 = 26

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 01, 2013, 03:07:16 PM »

Diplomacy Success

Quite taken by your sudden appreciation of forging, Firebrand puffs away excitedly at his pipe as he hustles you out of his office, past the front lobby and down the mystery hall, prompting a reaction(skill or power) from Pembrook to not be caught in the rush and bumped into!

Within these halls are a half-dozen doors set amongst more fine stone and brickwork and Firebrand lunges into the furthest door on the right, dragging Doran to a fully functional blacksmith's forge. He then launches into a fine anecdote about his last night's work upon a new Mythril molding... in the back of the forge is a door to the adjacent vault, which houses a small and compact array of samplers for at least two dozen materials from the mundane to the bins of leering skeletons from large beasts.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 01, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »

I don't see what the fuss is about. Pembrook's cover story is that he's waiting for the two of them to conclude their meeting, so being seen in the lobby while they storm through isn't a big deal.

Rolled a 1 on my Bluff check though (total 24), so he may well get bowled over anyway.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 01, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »

That's one way of going about it all, but now you're in the Forge with Firebrand and Doran and no smoking gun in your pocket or in sight. Back to the drawing board.

A quickie map.

5 - 6 (Forge)
   - l
3 - 4 (Storeroom)
   -
1 - 2

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 01, 2013, 05:56:41 PM »

I take it my lackluster Bluff check meant I got swept along, rather than left behind in the lobby?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 01, 2013, 06:36:40 PM »

Bluff Failure

Indeed. Firebrand insists that you "learn something meaningful" before you go.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

Doran immediately moves into the main forge area, he is making no attempt to bluff any longer as he is genuinely interested in all things crafting and is, himself, a master level weapon and armorsmith. He begins looking the forge over as he too begins puffing away at his own aromatic pipe. He listens to Firebrand speak and nods as he talks about the casing. Doran speaks up after a bit; almost boasting, "Oh, I mainly forge weapons and armor... I have at times forged more delicate pieces that I did not trust a lesser craftsman with in the church, but most of that stuff I pay other workers to do so as to give back in some small way. I also carve wood and have been known to construct the odd building or two."

He asks, "May I look at the supplies you have that I may have not seen before? I wouldn't want anyone running about in my forge without my permission."

(Posted on phone, sorry if there were any errors.)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2013, 09:13:37 AM »

Firebrand becomes Distracted as he and Doran move into the Storeroom(5) and he shows off the rarer materials with great pride and a little green edge to his eyes, raw greed at it's finest frequency. "There's Mythril and some of the blazing Meteorite, of course... both dangerous to work with. But this is my latest and greatest find!" He shifts some of the bones around and holds up a great lizard's skull. The angle of the head, the presence of horns, the bones that look like they'd stop a cannonball if worn alone...

With a prideful drawl, Firebrand pronounces them "Dragonbone."

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 03, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »

Two old dwarves talk about craftsmanship? At least I don't have to worry about Firebrand coming to check his records or anything and discover me for the next several weeks.

Dr zoidberg curly impression

38 on a Stealth check. Although I still have no idea where to go! So I'll head... hmm... *sniff sniff* ...that way!

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »

Doran looks over all the materials as Firebrand presents them, when he sees the Dragonbone he immediately reaches into his pocket and pulls a pair of finely made spectacles from it and places them on his nose before leaning forward, his puffs away on his pipe excitedly before speaking out, a happy sound in his voice as he pats Firebrand hard on the shoulder, as is common among dwarves, "You've got quite the vault here." Unlike Firebrand Doran does not seem like he wants to horde any of the items or like he is greedy, he just seems happy for a fellow dwarf. He puffs out a big billow of smoke before asking, "What do you plan on making next? I'm thinking of maybe trying my hand at a couple of throwing hammers. You know, for little things the big one is just too much for. Small folk or troublemakers I want to bean about the head and shoulders and not outright destroy." He lets out a joking chuckle.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2013, 08:44:43 AM »

Pembrook: By following your nose(and with your Passive Perception) you detect the scent of fresh tea. Opening one of the doors in the hallway reveals a small lounging area at Door 3.

5 - 6 (Forge)
   - l
3 - 4 (4 - Storeroom) (3 - Lounge)
   -
1 - 2

Your green-scaled Dragonborn from earlier is leaning against a heavy stone counter and holding the teapot, adding it directly to a small hip flask. You know, for flavor. She does not notice you.

Doran: Firebrand shifts his weight about, sticking his thumbs into his belt and letting out a great harumph. "I much fancied a proper helmet made of Mythril before my troubles began with lazy, misbegotten mercenaries. Now I quite need some reliable fellows to lead... haw, a good luck of that upon these rocks."

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2013, 12:31:29 PM »

Unless there's something else in here that catches Pembrook's eye, he'd rather avoid the dragonborn. For all he knows, she's a mercenary guard. He'll try another room.

Let's say room... 5 on the map.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »

Doran nods and puffs deeply on his pipe before speaking, "Helmets are good, not too hard to make but very practical." He digs around in his pack and then lets out a grumble before saying, "I don't have any pencils or other utensils around or I would sketch you a quick rough outline of the last few helmets I've made. Mythril though, lovely metal. You'd want it to be perfect, mythril is notoriously hard to recast after it's been made into something." He makes an inquisitive thoughtful sound and strokes his beard lightly as he thinks, still puffing away at his pipe.

(Posting this right before laying down, feel sick today)

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »

Doran: You have successfully distracted and engaged Firebrand's interests, as he pulls you aside for awhile to discuss Helmets and their Crafting. This prevents him from wandering out and looking for Pembrook for the rest of the encounter. You may continue to assist Pembrook by making up excuses to exit the room briefly, to either use Powers or Skills if necessary.

Pembrook: You move to open the door... locked.

A Skill Challenge Has Begun.

Successes: 0 Failures: 0

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 16, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »

Pembrook sees what he can do about this lock. (Thievery)
1d20 +20
6 + 20 = 26

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2013, 06:47:54 AM »

Doran will continue to hold Firebrands interest, and well... his own interest by beginning to outline proper construction techniques for a mythril helmet. He will talk about the base shape before suddenly looking for a piece of paper and some charcoal to draw on and beginning to sketch intricate crest and other designs for helmets, all the while explaining the practical uses for such adornments upon a piece of armor.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2013, 08:22:33 AM »

(It's a skill contest. Make a relevant roll: Bluff or Diplomacy, or whatevers)

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2013, 04:38:07 PM »

insight for skill challenge
1d20 +17
7 + 17 = 24

Doran tries to get a read on Firebrand.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »

Successes: 1 Failures: 1

You've already got Firebrand's attention! Your insight makes you perfectly aware of how absolutely engrossed Firebrand is in crafting a helmet right now! Some spill-over insight, or rather seeing it out of the corner of the eye through the barely open door lets you know that your partner Pembrook is failing to pick the lock on a door.

It also makes you aware of the #3 Door, the lounge, beginning to open.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14