Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Friday's Wolf Games: House Rules  (Read 4870 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Friday's Wolf Games: House Rules
« on: June 03, 2008, 04:02:53 PM »

1. This has been stated before. No showing your Role PM to anyone, for any reason! Even after you die. If I find out this rule has been broken, I will kill both the person sending and the person receiving. I don't want photoshop to be a fucking requirement for playing Werewolf. If anyone demands your role PM from you, report them to me and I will kill them.

2. No anonymous bullshit. Guild was bsing about his shit, but Burrito actually did it in Paper Wolf. I DO NOT want to open this door. If I discover someone doing this, I will kill them.

3. I don't mind if you want to comment on the game if you're just watching, or dead. However, you need to watch what you say. If you influence the game, either intentionally or unintentionally, I will put you on the blacklist. People on the blacklist will not be allowed to comment anymore. I used to have a friend who liked to sit behind the screen when I DMed. He liked to make comments. I kept telling him to keep his mouth shut, but being a nerd, he had such a goddamn hard time not being "helpful" that I eventually had to ban him from my side, even though he wasn't doing it on purpose, lest he give away something major. (He had already given away several minor things, such as remaining enemy hp)

That's all I can think of, right now. These rules all apply to Firefly, and will continue to apply to all my other games.

Oh, and, unless you have these rules active in your game, I won't play. Which is fine, of course. You don't have to adopt these rules if you don't want to. I'm not trying to be a prick about it, but those actions really irk me, both as a player and GM.

Guild

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Friday's Wolf Games: House Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »

I was just working on this thread Friday. Here's what I wrote. Mine was more of an OVERALL RULES thread rather than a FRIDAY'S PERSONAL PET PEEVES thread but the spirit is the same.

I'm sick of feeling kicked for coming up with strategies and being called a cheater for using them. I'd like to get some rules debate going for future refrence/to aid me in my escapades.

Here are a few problems (imho) I've noticed (Please post your own if you have any).

1) Players taking games too personally.
2) Players talking about werewolf when dead/not playing.
3) Players who know each other in real life playing in the same game.
4) #wolfpire discussions that other players miss out on.
5) Nonparticipation.
6) Anonymous participation.

...more to come as discussion reveals/permits...

I believe in never pointing out a problem without offering some kind of solution. I propose the following solutions(?):

1) I am guilty of this since I sometimes pick on Friday, but it's only because I'm madly in love with her (brain). Nothing really can be done about it. I just wanted to make the point that it's really quite silly to get upset over a forum game.

2) The rule of "The dead don't talk" was originally instituted because in real life when a wolf is killing people the dead are watching. We don't have that problem here. Nobody killed knows who killed them and there's no way for them to ever know while the game is ongoing.

Dead people should be allowed to talk their heads off. The dead have a CLEAR agenda and we're all smart enough to ignore anything that's obviously biased. Keeping the dead in the game yields better gameplay: More logical thoughts can be posted, requiring the wolves to be more careful, making the game in turn more challenging (read: fun).

There is no way to prevent dead people from talking to others players. Why not make it a feature rather than hating the situation and making rules that can't be enforced?

Give me one example where a dead person can do anything game-breaking and I'll eat my words.
In the case of a seer who has recieved a scry and failed to vote for the wolf scried the following day and was killed next  night (THE ONLY EXAMPLE), I am wrong. I eat my words (but they still taste truthy  :wat: )

3) We all know I mean Kazz and Lady Duke with this one. It's not that I don't trust our lovable resident ooky mucks. If it were anyone else, however, I wouldn't feel it was fair to let them play werewolf together.

And actually I've noticed that there is a verifiable correlation between their performance and their relationship: Kazz once asked LD if she was a wolf and she couldn't lie to his face about it. That was clearly LD's fault for not being a good enough liar.

In the unverifiable department: Kazz was a koopa in both iterations of Paper Wolf.

Why risk the unbalance? They should not be allowed to play together. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's not like I'm establishing new rules. These are just suggestions so take a chill pill losers. I've proclaimed my feelings on this issue before but never in the forums, so here ya go, yell at me now.

4) Again, not a super big issue, but some players feel pretty left out when everyone suddenly goes "OH MAN ROCKS FELL THAT WAS CRAZY RITE?" I suppose a fix for this would be for someone to keep a chatbot there to log everything onto some webspace so any player can access the log at any time. It would be nice, but not at all necessary. I guess this falls more into the wishful thinking category than the new rules category.

5) This isn't an issue for us here yet, but if it becomes one there is an option: If someone isn't playing, or must leave for a time, a substitute is brought in. The substitute is recruited by the GM when one is needed, perhaps by posting a request in the thread. The substitute is given the role of the former player, and if he's established any kind of a voting bloc the GM arranges to inform him of the situation.

6) I disagree with Friday. I say, if a player is stupid enough to talk to an anonymous person, let them.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 04:57:04 PM »

THIS THREAD IS NOW HIJACKED.  It is now a general rules thread!   :attn:

I wrote this up near the end of PvW and was going to stick it in my commentary, but since it seemed like I was being an asshole I just omitted it.  Since we've got a thread here for this sort of bitching, though, I might as well throw it up:

Hi, just a reminder, these are things you should NOT FUCKING DO IN WEREWOLF.  EVER.

* Edit posts (okay if it's an immediate change, but not okay after other people have posted, and definitely not okay if it covers up your voting record)
* Reveal information after you're dead
* Send people screenshots of your role
* Ask the GM to reveal someone's role to prove that he's the GM (even if it is theoretically yours)
* Not an actual violation, but registering new accounts just to hide your name is probably not a good thing
* Use mod powers that you normally wouldn't use outside of the game (I allowed the IP lookup this time because I assume it is something a mod would do anyway)

Obviously I touched on the ones that really irritated me in my comments anyway, just passive-aggressively.

I don't agree with capital punishment on a couple of Friday's rules (if you fall for a doctored JPEG or an anonymous nick that's your own fucking problem) but I do agree with the goal of preventing Werewolf from becoming a total meta-game.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:05:05 PM »

Yeah, see, this is less of a "discuss what you think about these rules" and more of a "these are the rules that will be enforced in my games, and I won't play in your games unless you're enforcing them" thread.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »

That being said, again, feel free to use whatever rules you want for your own games. And if these rules are not acceptable to you, you can not play in mine.

Guild

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 05:08:44 PM »

Except that when the moderator (congratz) pins a topic like this it makes it seem like these are the WEREWOLF RULES rather than FRIDAY'S rules.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 05:11:34 PM »

Friday's Wolf Games: House Rules

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 05:17:18 PM »

I'm guilty of a couple of those, but certainly not voting record alterations. I don't know about some of the meta-game rules either. It seems like that's part of the fun for some people.

I'd basically approve of any ploy that any other player can reproduce (to varying degrees of success) in a future game. Mod IP checking? No. Anonymous source bullshit? Yes.

I also think I don't like games where the rules aren't transparent without explaining that they will not be transparent. If that makes anything resembling sense.

Guild

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 05:23:28 PM »

I said SEEMS. I'm looking at things from the everyman perspective, Friday.

You, being moderator, now have a responsibility AND a certain amount of weight to your words and actions. Ambiguity (or in this case an overemphasis of your personal rules by pinning them) will lead to bad feelings.

Unless you're advocating that EVERYONE here pin up their personalized rules of Werewolf.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 05:34:53 PM »

That's what I was advocating, and I brazenly admitted that it was because I was hijacking the thread's original intent.

Guild

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 05:45:23 PM »

I would like to formally confess to totally revamping ALL of my posts in Paper Wolf 1.5.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 05:51:32 PM »

I don't give a shit what other people do, Guild.

I'm posting my house rules because I don't want those actions in my games. End of story.

I know you want to argue this to death because you're a rules lawyer, but I don't see how many more different ways I can say the same thing.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 05:53:37 PM »

Well, more to the point, how exactly do you intend to enforce these rules?  They go on whether you like it or not, and if you ban everyone who does stuff like attempt to converse anonymously or post their PM role, you're gonna end up blacklisting a lot of wolf players.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 05:58:21 PM »

I wouldn't say a lot.  Mainly the ones who like to stretch the limits of what's legal, who I think Friday's not going to miss very much.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 05:59:15 PM »

Not really. I think most of you are decent enough people to not go around behind my back like a bunch of fucking whiny retards complaining about class balance.

And yeah, what Brentai said.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »

Listen. My initial post may have come across as a bit harsh.

You all know me. I'm prone to getting angry sometimes. But I have tried to be, and will continue to do my best to be a unbiased and fair GM. These rules are only present to enforce what I see as fair.

I'm not impervious to my players discussing my rules with me. For one, I'm removing the idiot even though personally I have no problem with him based solely on player feedback. I'm also removing public roles for the same reason.

But sometimes as a GM I take a stand on my rules. If you don't like it, that's perfectly fine. I'm not going to force you to play. This is not a "fuck you, I'm god now" post. This is a "hey, I've been noticing some things that certain players have been doing lately that's kind of in the gray area as far as rules go, so I'm going to clarify".

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »

to sum up:

WHATS THIS?

NO PM ROLES

NO COMMENTING

ANONYMOUS ONLY

FINAL DESTINATION

Guild

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »

Oh Friday.

GUILD'S WOLFGAME HOUSE RULES (WILL LIKELY ONLY BE USED ONCE)

1) Players may edit their posts at will but bolded information must remain untouched.

2) All official votes MUST be bolded. The dead do not comment and are given a full list of roles in exchange for their silence.

3) There are no other rules. This means that conversation faking, anonymous talk, role PM revealing (in any form) and victory condition coercion are encouraged.

4) Anything not covered in these rules is fair game.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 06:17:35 PM »

Bongo's game rules:

Dead people's comments are restricted to banter and public events which transpired prior to the deceased's termination.

Private correspondence must be CCed to the GM.

Edit posts only for grammar, spelling, and clarity.
...but is it art?

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »

Oh, god.

What have I done?

I take it all back

I will shoot myself in the head if Guild turns us all into faggoty little rulefags
Pages: [1] 2 3 4