Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: We're cute! We're scary! We love to LP Final Fantasy IV Advance!  (Read 33802 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: We're cute! We're scary! We love to LP Final Fantasy IV Advance!
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »

I once somehow found myself in a situation (a few scant steps away from a save point) where both Cecil and Rydia were dead, and Edward got reduced to critical HP and hid.

Every time I popped him back in the fight to do something (like potion himself) the trigger for re-hiding would go off and he'd leave the screen again. I tried running, running while hiding, everything.

Eventually I had to just reset the game.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »

That's happened to me in the middle of the Fabul fight. Not fun times.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2013, 12:26:47 AM »

"I... is it gone?"

Unfortunately, no. The Sahaguin never gets bored and wanders off, but I like to think in a more dynamic combat system it would be slowly stalking Edward through the dark, sandy streets of Kaipo. Meanwhile Anna's ghost hovers near Edward, offering him encouragement, and giving away his hiding spot so he has to flee to another.

Alas, there ain't no gettin' offa this character development we're on.

Those are Anna, Edward, and the Sahagin each speaking after one of Edward's attacks.

Edward: No! Don't go! I can't live without you!
Anna: You mustn't let Golbez have the Crystals. Fight for your people! Care for them as you did for me...

Edward: Yes, I'll do it! I'll fight! ...But how could I stop him? I don't know what I should do...

I've read that Sakaguchi's original plan is that after Anna dies, Edward's power awakens and he gets much stronger. One of the programmers pointed out that a weakling doesn't stop being a weakling just because his girlfriend dies. So Edward remains much the same, after this scene.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2013, 12:39:19 AM »

Sure is awful lonely up here in the front row.

Oh, right. In addition to her White Magic and Aim abilities, Rosa can also Pray. It fails half the time and restores a little HP to the whole party when it does work. The only advantage to having it is that it doesn't cost any MP (or like Edward's Salve, items) and is good for party maintenance as they get worn down slowly by random encounters.

To Fabul!

Rydia: ...
Edward: What's wrong?
Rosa: Give it a try. I know you can do it.
Rydia: ...No.
Rosa: ?
Rydia: I... I hate fire.
Cecil: That's right... Her village was destroyed by fire when...
Rosa: Rydia, you're the only one who can melt this ice.
Rosa: If we can't get through to Fabul, more people will be in danger. Please, Rydia.
Edward: Rydia... You've helped me, you've helped Cecil, you've helped Rosa... and you have the power to help many more people. Please, we need your strength and courage.
Cecil: ...

Rydia: Hee hee!
Rosa: I knew you could do it!
Cecil: Thank you, Rydia.

As Friday said earlier, it's possible (at least in some versions) to level up Rydia until she learns -ara or even -aga level magic. The party will encourage her to cast Fire on the ice wall, despite that she could cast Fira or Firaga in battle without any problems.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2013, 12:45:52 AM »

On Mt. Hobs are Bombs, which have a Bomb emblem as a rare drop. Using the emblem on Rydia lets her summon Bombs herself, which is an odd twist given what that kind of monster did to her home village. The Bomb summon deals Rydia's current HP in damage to one enemy.

Also on Mt. Hobs are Cockatrices, which do what you'd expect. They also raredrop an emblem that lets Rydia summon a Cockatrice for an enemywide petrify attempt. The drop rate for any emblem is under half a percent, though, so I'm not going to actually try for any of them.

Edward: That garb... He's one of Fabul's monks.
Monk: Hiyah!

The monk smashes the two monsters flanking him.

His battle cry in the SNES version was "ACHOOOOOO!", puzzling Americans who played the game. A friend of mine speculated "He lives in the kingdom with the Wind Crystal, maybe he has really bad allergies." It's is a Chinese-style martial arts kiai, although as I've heard it it's more pronounced AI CHOU. The O is repeated for emphasis, making it sound more like a sneeze.

In an automated sequence, the monk -- now named Yang -- kicks the crap out of more monsters.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2013, 01:00:06 AM »

Rydia: Let's help him!

"Mom" Bomb? Doesn't look any different to me. But after several turns of beating on it...

GWORRGH

Yang is a monk, of course, much like the ones from the first Final Fantasy game... but with the abilities they started to develop in their reappearance in the third game. His Kick ability splits his physical attack power across the whole enemy party, and isn't all that useful unless he's sweeping a bunch of extremely weak monsters away. Power lets Yang concentrate for a while and deal a single hit for double damage -- although unless the enemy has particularly high defense, it's more time-efficient to simply hit it twice. Gird is a defensive stance that has Yang take only 25% damage from attacks.

On Yang himself, they're moderately useful abilities. But in the DS version's augment system, you can get these abilities to strap onto another character. Giving Gird to Cecil is key to one of the game's optimal builds, along with Counter and Draw Attacks. All the monsters target Cecil, who wears the best armor and has the best HP growth, who Girds for very little damage and counterattacks each hit. You can even give Cecil Kick so he counters each hit with a counterattack against every enemy on the field, or Long Range so that he can do that kind of attack from the back row and take even less damage from enemy attacks.

Edward quite wisely takes that under advisement and gets the fuck out of there.

Double-digit damage to the whole party is nothing to sneeze at this early in the game.

The Mom Bomb explodes into smaller bomblets that I have to mop up.

The red Bombs aren't any more powerful than they were in random encounters, but the Gray Bombs take some dedicated work from Cecil and Rydia to wipe out.

Yang: I came here to train with my men, but all were killed by a swarm of beasts... They were Fabul's finest monks...
Cecil: My name is Cecil. We bring urgent news to Fabul.
Rosa: A villain named Golbez is abusing Baron's authority to seize the world's Crystals.
Yang: Then he covets our Wind Crystal as well.
Edward: There is no doubt. He easily seized the Crystal of Damcyan a few days ago.
Yang: Then the odds are against us. The only monks left in the castle are students. They stand little chance against Baron's forces.
Rosa: I'd assume Golbez was behind the monster attacks that killed your men... And almost killed you.
Yang: ...Then the attack is imminent. I must go.
Cecil: We will follow you to Fabul. We would like to help.
Yang: I am grateful. However, this matter does not concern you.
Cecil: But it does.
Edward: ...For I am the prince of Damcyan.
Cecil: Rosa and I are citizens of Baron, and this girl is one of many victims of our kingdom's attacks... which I have personally led.
Yang: I see... then I humbly accept your assistance.
Cecil: Let's go. We haven't much time.
Yang: Fabul lies to the east of these mountains.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2013, 01:06:31 AM »

On the way to Fabul, the party is stuck in its first ambush. Since the enemy snuck up behind the party, those on the back row are on the front and those who should be in the front are in the back. The Row command switches ranks for the whole party (at once, thankfully), putting everyone where they should be at the cost of a single turn.

Well, I wish to see...

What the shopkeepers have in stock: an assortment of elemental claws for Yang (allowing him to take advantage of enemy weaknesses), and a new suit of armor for Cecil.

Yeah, remember you said that, since we're bringing news of an army to wipe everyone out.

Yang: Ahh, yes. This is my wife. Cecil and his companions came to my aid on Mt. Hobs.
Yang's Wife: Well, that was mighty kind of you. Hey, hon, don't you have some place you gotta be? I heard the king's waitin' for you.

I like Yang's wife.

:itsatrap:

The dancer turns out to be another monk.  :whoops:

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2013, 01:12:22 AM »

Yang: Sire, we must prepare for battle. Baron will attack us at any second to steal our Crystal.
King: How do you know this?
Yang: These two are citizens of Baron. They came to warn us.
King: And these two others?
Cecil: Sir, we haven't much time. The castle's defenses must be tightened immediately.
King: Yang, can we trust this dark knight and his companions?
Yang: Yes. They risked their lives to help me.
Cecil: We must hurry!
Rosa: Please!

A pregnant pause.

Damn Edward if you knew the guy you might have wanted to bring that up at some point sheesh

King: Prince Edward!
Edward: Sire, Baron's fleet decimated Damcyan and claimed our Crystal not long ago. Many died, including my parents and my beloved. Damcyan's tragedy must not be repeated!
King: Forgive me for my suspicions. Yang, mobilize the men for battle.

Um... can we really say no?

Yang: ...gate.
King: Very well. Will the ladies assist our medic?
Rosa: Yes, sire.
King: Fabul's fate rests in your hands. May we be victorious.
Yang: We will assemble at the main gate.

And the party splits. Personally I think Rydia would be better off fighting with her black magic, with Edward on the vanguard splitting up potions, but sexism.

Or you can leave the black magic girl behind to roast anyone who gets close to the medics as they do their job. That works too.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »

Guys I am like 85% certain that standing outside the castle walls to meet the enemy completely defeats the purpose of having a castle in the first place.

R^2, y u no screencap first battle

"Oh, right, we forgot they had airship artillery."

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2013, 01:27:10 AM »

Cecil: This is our war, too. And it's far from over.
Edward: They're coming!

I... I didn't screencap this fight either. While the first was a group of monsters, this is was a revisit with the Commander/Soldier fight from Kaipo. Three troops attack, one commander leads, with the same flee/rout dynamic depending on who dies.

When you win, more monsters rush in and kill the monks guarding the side doors.

Yang: The king has already retreated into a safe place along with the women and children. It is our duty to lure the enemy away... And crush them!

Was I even paying attention to these fights man

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »

We've made too many sacrifices already, too many retreats. They invade our castle and we fall back. They attack our courtyards, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn HERE! This far, and no further!

Edward: No!

Yang: You fool! What are you doing?
Edward: He's one of them!

A gargoyle, to be precise.

One easily confused by Edward's harp into self-destructing, no less. Tornado drops its target down to single-digit HP, no matter what their HP was before.

This is shortly followed by another regular monster battle rushing into the throne room.

Edward trips and falls over his own feet while retreating. Dammit, Edward. One more fight, and then...

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2013, 02:15:44 AM »

Cecil: Kain! You're alive!
Kain: So it would seem.
Cecil: We'll talk later. For now, we have some fighting to do.
Kain: Indeed. Are you ready to face me, Cecil?
Cecil: ...What?
Kain: Ready your sword!
Cecil: Kain!?
Kain: Ready your sword, fool!

Kain can't be targeted while he's in the air, and...

Does some truly ridiculous damage when he jumps. There's no winning this battle fairly.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2013, 02:20:08 AM »

Kain: Have you any final words?
Yang: Stop!
Offscreen voice: No!

Rosa: Kain, you of all people...
Kain: No, I...

Final Fantasy IV DS Music - Golbez, Clad in Dark

Golbez: ...done!

Man, those orphaned words after a page break are awkward for a Let's Play.

I have a great idea. How about the kindhearted white mage damsel steps right in front of the cruel, bolt-throwing villain the instant he appears?

Cecil: Rosa, no...
Kain: !
Golbez: So, you cherish this woman? Then I shall take her with me to raise the stakes. Until next time.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2013, 02:26:55 AM »

Rydia: Feeling better?
Edward: I thank you, Rydia, but...
Yang: The Crystal is gone! I have failed.
Cecil: And now Rosa is gone, too.

Everyone consider these turns of events for a few seconds.

Edward: She's right. We have no time for moping. We must get back Rosa and the Crystal.
Yang: Cecil. It is our turn to assist you. For now, let us heal our wounds.
Cecil: Thank you.

The party retires to the Fabul inn.

Cecil: To fight Golbez, we need an airship. But Baron is the only kingdom that has them.
Yang: Then we must sneak into Baron and borrow one ourselves.

Wow, Yang. It must be hard to do flying kicks when you're weighed down by those massive balls.

Cecil: Baron's main force is the Red Wings, so its sea power is relatively weak. We might be able to slip in by boat.
Yang: I will ask the king for a ship tomorrow morning.
Cecil: Thank you, Yang.
Yang: Who was that dragoon?
Cecil: His name is Kain. He used to be my best friend. But I don't know what happened to him...
Yang: Perhaps you will find your answers in Baron.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2013, 02:34:30 AM »

King: Cecil, take this sword. It belonged to a dark knight who came to Fabul years ago. This sword exudes a tremendous force, but it is still a weapon of darkness. Darkness can never prevail over true evil. I hae faith that you will slay Golbez. Or perhaps it is but a mere wish...

Deathbringer has a darned good chance to instantly slay anything it's swung at, regardless of its HP total. According to a printed guide to this game that was released shortly after it was released on the Super Famicom, the world of Final Fantasy 2 and the world of Final Fantasy 4 are the same world separated by 100 years. The dark knight who left this sword in Fabul was Leon, the first dark knight of the series, who abandoned his bloodstained past and became a priest.

I'm not going to assume that's canon, mostly because it raises more questions than it answers.

King: Go to the harbor to the east as soon as you are prepared. A ship shall await you there. Golbez must be stopped. If he acquires all of the Crystals, the world will be thrust into an unprecedented crisis. I am counting on you.

Again, it's not the boost in attack power that matters here. Deathbringer kills stuff without bothering to drop its HP to 0.

Yang's Wife: Keep your chin up, Cecil! You'll get her back in no time!

Yang's Wife: You bet. I love you, you big lunkhead!

Captain: Sit back, mate, and enjoy the ride.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2013, 02:36:51 AM »

Cecil: We'll have to meet Cid, Baron's chief airship engineer. He'll help us.
Yang: I only hope the man you speak of is safe.
Edward: ...
Rydia: Are you cold? You're shaking.
Edward: I'm fine. It... it's nothing...

Is that...a tentacle? Ia! Ia!

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2013, 02:40:44 AM »

Sailor: Holy mackerel!
Sailor: The lord of the sea!
Sailor: Is that...?
Captain: Yes! It's Leviathan!

Pff, he's a short dungeon, at worst. We might even meet a dragoon inside.

All the sailors are spinning in place, dashing around, utterly panicked. The captain barks out orders, causing them to stop a moment... then continue their terrified screaming as before. It doesn't translate well into screenshots.

Summoner overboard!

Yang leaps into the sea after her. Which is suicidal! No way can he swim with those massive clanging testicles!

The whirlpool swallows the tiny ship.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2013, 02:43:05 AM »

They're gone.

Thankfully Cecil washed up near a little town, where maybe he can get some clues as to what happened to him and his companions...

Oh.

Oh, shit.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2013, 03:52:03 AM »

The Hangover IV

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2013, 04:31:06 AM »

Edward: What's wrong?
Rosa: Give it a try. I know you can do it.
Rydia: ...No.
Rosa: ?
Rydia: I... I hate fire.
Cecil: That's right... Her village was destroyed by fire when...
Rosa: Rydia, you're the only one who can melt this ice.
Rosa: If we can't get through to Fabul, more people will be in danger. Please, Rydia.
Edward: Rydia... You've helped me, you've helped Cecil, you've helped Rosa... and you have the power to help many more people. Please, we need your strength and courage.
Cecil: ...

With that much gas in the air even I could have cast a fire spell.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26