Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

Stick with SMF?

Keep the current forum.
- 4 (21.1%)
Keep the current forum as a subdomain for archival purposes, set up a new forum using a different platform.
- 15 (78.9%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Simple Machines Forum  (Read 14002 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Simple Machines Forum
« on: January 13, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »

So it's becoming increasingly less of a secret that a migration of some sort is imminent.  I'm going to be using this opportunity to sever some limbs and fix a lot of the stuff that has been left broken around here for a little too long.  One of those broken things is SMF 2.0.6, and more specifically, karma.

From SMF 2.0 on, stuff we used to love/hate around here, like karma reasons, has been unsupported and curiously just keeps on remaining unsupported.  It's getting to the point where the only way to build the Brontoforums we deserve need want is to drop SMF and try to find something that's got the kind of candy we're looking for.  This of course will necessarily require a fresh start.

Now, that doesn't mean we have to delete stuff.  We've already demonstrated that you can comfortably run an entirely separate instance of the forum (Wrath) on the same server and not be any worse off for it.  I can pretty easily restore this thing, and stuff it in a subdomain like prehistoric.brontoforum.us (or go buy apatoforum.us just to be punchy) so that people can still go back and read The End and stuff.  Either way I sort of have to rebuild SMF and figure out a way to stick all the past several years of posts back in*, because we're going to be salting the Earth pretty hard when this move takes place.

People get attached to things, though, so I'm putting it up for debate now while there's still a pretty good lead time on whatever is about to happen.  Take your vote and comment if you've got any suggestions about what we can do to make this place more tyrannical!!!

I mean, gnilley.

This place is already pretty tyrannical.

* Which I already did once when we moved from gamespite to brontoforum, so it must not be that hard.  I just kinda forget absolutely everything about how to do it.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Machines Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:25 AM »

I personally am curious to see what other forum software is out there. Simple Machines is old and seems a bit limited. The only one I think is neat offhand is Discourse, which is radically different from how we're used to posting. Which I'm not opposed to. I've never been a big fan of the multiple child boards and crazy gigantic threads we've grown so fond of, and Discourse seems to encourage smaller, more frequent posts that can be categorized under similar tags. I like that. It's also not quite at version 1 yet.

Either way, enough of us are devs with free time that we could probably through up a repository to customize the hell out of whatever we get anyway.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:11:44 AM »

I don't mind at all if we move, but if the options are "Blow everything up and create a lot of work for Brentai and maybe other people" and "Karma stays broken" I really don't give a damn if Karma stays broken.

Like, it's a cute little nice-to-have thing, but not really important.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »

Like, it's a cute little nice-to-have thing, but not really important.
Karma++;

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:20:46 AM »

My number one desire of new forum software would be a way to read the forum on a phone that also supports inline images. Talking Time has Tapatalk support and Something Awful has its own Awful app, but all Brontoforum.us has is the WAP2 link at the bottom so I usually don't come here on my phone.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »

The main reason I'm doing this now is because most of everything is going to blow up anyway. This does involve some extra work (building a new forum from scratch) but not much more than I'll be doing, and it's actually one of the more interesting administration tasks.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:23:29 AM »

I voted keep the forum mostly because I'm okay with the least amount of work possible.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:24:18 AM »

The main reason I'm doing this now is because most of everything is going to blow up anyway. This does involve some extra work (building a new forum from scratch) but not much more than I'll be doing, and it's actually one of the more interesting administration tasks.

O-
Well.
In that case, go crazy go nuts?

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »

Can we bring back Dolphin Dash?

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »

Discourse looks neat, my main concerns are that it might discourage longer posts like Friday's stories, and encourage the sort of huffs people get into around here when posts start coming in too fast. Also not too sure how well admins can manage uploaded pics and files in the current version. We have to be careful about that sort of thing since we've had problems with image hacks in the past.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:50 AM »

I'd rather we try some new software than keep the old (though it would be cool to keep it around for archival purposes). I'll reskin the new forum however we need it.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »

As an aside, no matter what we do I'd like a skin option that sets a max-width on the text columns and increases the font size a little. At home I use a 27" monitor and reading stuff on these forums is a pain.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:55 AM »

I'm not sure browser you're using, but with firefox I can change the text size by holding ctrl and using the scroll wheel.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »

It's the same in Chrome, but that has an awful habit of making EVERYTHING zoom in, which makes images fugly.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »

I have been interested to try a Discourse forum for a while, so if you're gonna nuke everything anyhow, that'd be cool.
...but is it art?

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »

Discourse looks ugly as sin.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »

BrontoChan

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 12:43:19 PM »

I saw 'infinite scrolling' as the first point on the Discourse sell sheet and noped out of there. Let's not make things harder to navigate, okay?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »

I saw 'infinite scrolling' as the first point on the Discourse sell sheet and noped out of there. Let's not make things harder to navigate, okay?
Er, how so?
...but is it art?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »

Well, what commitment level are we talking about here? If we migrate to new forum architecture, are we then stuck with that, or a different but still new alternate? Will switching back be easy or even feasible under a new server setup?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10