Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30

Author Topic: Worst Batman Thread Ever  (Read 48181 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Worst Batman Thread Ever
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2009, 08:27:10 PM »

I...don't really know how Oracle is compatible with the tone of TB&TB.  I guess if they never said anything about why she's in a wheelchair?  (Then again, as noted earlier, this lighthearted series has given us the most horrifying version of Batman's origin ever.)

Apparently this universe's Joker is very Romero-y?  I have not caught last week's.  Or any since the one with the Outsiders.  Waaaay behind over here.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »

Nah, they can pull it off. Very carefully. Very, very carefully.

But yeah, B&TB has had a few more serious moments, like in The Fall of the Blue Beetle, which gives Ted Kord a much better death than the one in the comics.

Besides, I'm sure Oracle can be fun. I think.

ADDENDUM: Better idea: Slam Bradley.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #262 on: March 07, 2009, 01:39:05 PM »

The last issue of Cacophony is Kevin Smith's love letter to Alan Moore by way of Frank Miller.  Batman saves Joker from dying (he does not agree with the "I don't have to save you" characterization from Begins) and then has a heart-to-heart with him at the hospital.

It's Kevin Smith doing what he does best -- two guys talking.  It's a good twist on their chat from Killing Joke, and includes Frank Miller's basic point about their relationship from DKR -- they're both destined to do what they do, Joker exists BECAUSE of Batman, and the dance isn't going to end until one of them dies.

There are also a couple good bits with Gordon and Alfred telling Batman he's out of his fucking mind and Jesus Christ just let the Joker die.

And the last few pages actually hint that Smith may have some kind of personality and backstory in mind for Onomatopoeia beyond the obnoxious one-note portrayal he's received up to this point.

Also, Walt Flanagan gets to draw the Joker with a few months' growth of scruffy chin-pubes.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2009, 04:40:55 PM »

It appears that the new Batman and Robin series will be another Morrison/Quitely collaboration.  I am looking forward to it!

Begin speculation: that looks an awful lot like Damian in the Robin costume.  Batman doesn't look particularly Dickish, but Dick's still the most obvious guess, especially with somebody else using the "Nightwing" name now.

EDIT: IGN has the cover, too, and Batman looks more like Dick there.  Robin's DEFINITELY not Tim.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2009, 02:00:26 AM »

It appears that the new Batman and Robin series will be another Morrison/Quitely collaboration.  I am looking forward to it!

SUDDENLY SO AM I

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2009, 04:37:54 PM »

BatmanandRobinmobile looks awesome.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2009, 09:22:57 PM »

I'd read it.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 14, 2009, 09:13:05 PM »

:sarcasm: Read it? Good sir, I'd go Klingon on those pages.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #268 on: March 15, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »

Okay, I want to know where that came from.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 15, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »

I found it on the Talking Time random images thread, no source posted.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #270 on: March 21, 2009, 10:18:16 AM »

Morrison interview on Batman and Robin.  He describes it as like if the Adam West TV series was directed by David Lynch.

He also adds that the villains will mostly be new characters, which is probably a good idea overall because there are only so many takes you can do on the "new Batman encounters old Bat-foes" story.

Though I AM curious to see whether the general reaction is "He's back!" or "It's a new guy!"  Kinda like Two-Face's theory in Almost Got 'Im that Gordon keeps a whole team of Batmen.  (Joker, of course, would instantly realize that this isn't "his" Batman.)  On the other hand, there are plenty of Bat-books to go around and maybe one of the non-Morrison guys will tackle that angle.  (I'm sure we'll see some good Gordon/new Batman interplay over in Dini's Streets of Gotham.)

He says #666 is going to play a pretty huge part in how the story moves forward, so that may as well be confirmation that Damian's wearing the Robin costume.

Haven't dug out my copy yet, but...does #666 ever explicitly state that Damian killed BRUCE, or does it merely say he killed BATMAN?

Anyway.  As previously stated, I'm not really interested in anybody else's Bat-books but Dini's and Morrison's, so those are the ones I'll be sticking with.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #271 on: June 23, 2009, 08:40:40 PM »

Streets of Gotham #1 isn't the man-on-the-street Batman I'd hoped, but it's got some good bits with Jim and a straight-up homage to that TAS ep where Harley freaks out at a department store.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #272 on: June 24, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »

Wasn't planning on picking up Detective Comics with Batwoman, but I heard good things so I grabbed it.  Mainly it had some awesome layouts, and the characters seem promising enough.  Kate's sexuality is touched upon, but really only in a Peter Parker-y "she can't keep a girlfriend" way rather than being completely overbearing.  And her boots are very sensible!

Not sure why Streets of Gotham and Detective Comics BOTH have to have stories about child sex slaves.

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 25, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »

Well, I'm prepared to call Batman: Brave and the Bold fantastic overall. Which means, yes, there have been some misses, but it also means that if you don't at least like this cartoon, then we can't hang out.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #274 on: July 03, 2009, 10:15:17 PM »

Gotham City Sirens is one of those things that you would know was Dini even if you didn't see his name on it.  I thought his last couple arcs on Detective were pretty mediocre (though the Batcave fight with Hush was frickin' awesome), but this is the perfect place for him.  There's no better writer for Harley, and his Selina and Ivy are almost as good.

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 20, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »

that episode was amazing

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2009, 12:02:52 AM »

It's hard to pick a favorite Bat-book right now because they are ALL AWESOME.  (Well, haven't been reading Batman itself.  But Batman and Robin, Detective, and the two Dini books are great, anyway.)  But Sirens is Dini's best work in a long time.

#1 ended with a cliffhanger of Ivy getting some truth serum in Catwoman and asking her who Batman is.  Catwoman's answer in #2 is a very clever piece of writing.  It recalls two of the best TAS eps: The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne, where the truth is revealed but Bruce manages to cover it up, and Almost Got 'Im, where Two-Face suggests that there's more than one Batman.  Selina's lie also has elements of the truth mixed in (I'm betting all the people she says have been Batman actually HAVE at one point or another, and of course the bit about the high mortality rate of Robins isn't too far off), and some clever metafiction (Batman's inconsistent personality and the fact that no single person could possibly go through all the physical punishment he has and still get back up and keep kicking ass).

Not a whole lot happens in the issue, but it doesn't have to.  It's Dini toying with the mythology.

Which is probably what the past two posts are about, but I haven't watched the episode yet.  (Pretty far behind on B:TB&TB, more's the pity; last I saw was the two-parter with Owlman.  Hoping to rectify that, but...well, you guys have probably noticed my free time isn't what it was.)

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2009, 12:22:49 AM »

I absolutely love the Gentlemen Ghost episode of Brave and the Bold. Well there has been two I think so far. I'm referring to the one where batman get's put into a coffin I cannot think of the name right now.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #279 on: August 28, 2009, 10:07:19 PM »

I continue to love the art on Detective Comics.  The story is still take-or-leave.

And the thing that continues to bug me about Batwoman is that while they appear to be trying to treat her sexuality in a sensitive and non-exploitative way, they keep pulling this shit where all the lesbians on DC Earth have to hang out together.  As if the whole Renee thing weren't enough, in the latest issue it's revealed that Sawyer's moved to Gotham and she's single now.  I mean, Jesus, guys, really?

I mean, I LIKE Sawyer.  I've never read a comic she's appeared in, but I liked her on Superman: TAS, and I particularly liked that they worked her sexual orientation into it in a way that was subtle enough to get past the network censors but obvious enough that I got it right away despite having no familiarity with her character from the comics.  (There's an ep or two where she's in the hospital and there's a woman by her bedside who, to the best of my recollection, you don't see anywhere else in the series.)

It's kinda like how, over on the Marvel side, Black Panther and Storm are childhood friends.  Because if two people are from Africa, they MUST know each other.  It's just one of those things where writers, under editorial edict, are trying to be sensitive and openminded but instead just end up emphasizing how white heterosexual overgrown-adolescent male their genre tends to be.

Still, at least we're leaps and bounds past the 1990's now.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 30