Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 30

Author Topic: Worst Batman Thread Ever  (Read 48183 times)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Batman Thread Ever
« Reply #301 on: May 26, 2010, 06:39:44 PM »

God he's old

He looks like the guy who drives the bus to work.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 26, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »

I love hearing him talk about this sort of thing though.  I read elsewhere that in one interview they asked him "Batman or Star Wars?" He apparently paused for a minute then started talking like Joker. "There's not even a contest between the two." Then started laughing.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #303 on: June 05, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »

On the plus side, it turns out he's a great damn Spectre.

Realize I'm way behind on this, but anyone else catch Chill of the Night on TB&TB?  Dini wrote it, and it covers Batman's confrontation with his parents' killer.  Really felt more like an episode of TAS than TB&TB (except for the part about Batman unmasking when his entire fucking rogues' gallery is in the next room); it's the darkest the show's ever gone.

It's also a love letter to a bunch of different eras of Batman -- Conroy and Hamill are the voices of the Phantom Stranger and the Specture, respectively; Thomas and Martha Wayne are played by Adam West and Julie Newmar.  The plot itself is straight out of the original Bill Finger era, and even uses some of his writing verbatim.

All in all, good shit.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #304 on: June 09, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »

Batman #700 is a solidly-told time travel mystery, where Morrison does a great job balancing the obscure references of his Batman run with the accessible storytelling of Batman and Robin.  And it made me gasp once near the end.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #305 on: June 30, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »

Batman Beyond #1: good enough job setting up the atmosphere; big reveal on last page sucks.  Rule #1 of red herrings: don't make your red herring MORE INTERESTING than the guy it actually turns out to be.  Jesus Christ, it's the new Dragonlance all over again.

[spoiler]And Hush isn't even IN DCAU continuity.  I mean, yes, Dini has run him into the ground in the comics over the past couple years, but...that's hardly an argument for using him MORE.[/spoiler]

Frankly I was wary when I FIRST heard this was a "Batman Beyond vs. legacy Batman villain" story.  Rule #1 of Batman Beyond was "Use legacy villains sparingly."  Pity my first instinct appears to have been correct.

...so I hear the Levitz Batman Beyond story was pretty good, but it sold out before I could get it.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 06, 2010, 05:38:02 PM »

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 06, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »

Knight to Dark Knight

YOU WERE RIGHT IT WAS SECRETLY MAGNETO

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 07, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »

Gavok on the 4th Letter has a pretty good rundown comparing Batman & Robin to the Killing Joke

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »

Watching Under the Red Hood. Jesus this is amazing. Writing is good, art is great. And NPH does an fantastic job and the Joker is unbelievably creepy.
The Red Hood's design is nice, and it seems to follow what I know about all the RH stuff pretty closely. 
And Batman is a person in this. You see motivations and his weaknesses. And it's done realistically. And the cinematics for the Robin sequences? Wow.
I am finding very few things I have a problem with.  Dick Grayson's design is one of them. The Nightwing costume is lacking that great subtle bird motif and his hair? It's short. I prefer him with a mullet. It was just "Look. I'm trying to be fun and edgy! Am I fun and edgy yet?"

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #310 on: July 12, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »

Batman and Robin #13 is awesome, but it marks a huge departure from the preceding 12 issues' "It helps if you've read the other stuff but you don't have to have" to "If you have not been reading Morrison's Batman for 2-3 years you are not going to know what the FUCK is going on."

It's as dense as RIP but not as impenetrable, and it moves a lot faster.  Moreover, it shows the two things I've been dying to see since the series started: Dick-Batman's relationship with the Joker, and his relationship with Gordon.  (I love the bit where Gordon says "For what it's worth, the other officers like you a lot better than him.")

And of course the Damian-Joker showdown.  Not spoiling anything here since "Damian beats Joker with a crowbar" is on the cover.  It's interesting -- Professor Pyg reappears in this story, but Jason Todd doesn't -- but of course the Joker/Jason connection is at the core of it.

It's great stuff.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »

Okay so what do I need to read for the whole [spoiler]Thomas Wayne[/spoiler] thing to make sense?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #312 on: July 12, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »

RIP.

Short version, via Wikipedia:

There is some debate as to the identity of Simon Hurt. Hurt himself claims to be Bruce Wayne's father, Dr. Thomas Wayne. He claims to be Thomas Wayne which is also the name of a devil worshiping ancestor back in the 18th century. Batman suspects he is truly the actor Mangrove Pierce. Both the third Batman replacement and The Joker claim he is The Devil himself, a theory which much of the symbolism in Batman RIP tends to lean towards. Hurt alluded to this possibility using metaphor only, claiming "I am the hole in things...the enemy, the piece that can never fit, there since the beginning," all cryptic statements that relate to the mythology of a satanic figure. Toward the conclusion of Batman RIP, Batman also wonders whether Hurt is really The Devil.

(Also, you probably don't have to spoilertag something that's on the first page.)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2010, 04:58:17 AM »

Beyond The Red Hood, the latest in Bruce Timm's DC OAVs masterfully makes good the terrible origin of the latest Red Hood, because I guess that's what Bruce Timm does best. Make stupid shit from the comic books awesome. Only downside is no Conroy or Hamill, but DiMaggio is very good as the Joker in his own right, channeling Hamill for the laugh, because honestly, who else would you channel?

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #314 on: July 24, 2010, 05:28:34 AM »

I got to see it yesterday. It's really good (and DiMaggio's Joker is great. It doesn't help that his dialogue is great), except for a couple of really stupid bits.

I speak of course, of [spoiler]ninja assassins who dual-wield laser katanas. Oh, and laser vision. Why all the laser vision?[/spoiler]

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 24, 2010, 06:37:34 AM »

:popcorn:

What? POPCORN_JOKER is evolving!

Congratulations! Your POPCORN_JOKER evolved into JOKER_CHIPS!

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 24, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »

I loved that scene, and that pretty obvious homage.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 24, 2010, 02:05:08 PM »

Bal just likes any scenario in which needing some guys are involved.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 24, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »

But not dead guys.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 24, 2010, 02:15:03 PM »