Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: Worst Batman Thread Ever  (Read 48188 times)

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Worst Batman Thread Ever
« on: February 14, 2008, 07:48:15 PM »

So, there's a preview of Gotham Knight now. It's got Deadshot, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, and Man-bat (who is the only one not referred to specifically). Those last two surprise me since this apparently takes place in the new movie universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocITLlWOySY

ARC EDIT: Updated link.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Batman Thread Ever
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 09:00:38 PM »

iz dat sum satoshi kon?

Kawajiri has ensured that Wayne's chin doubles as a utility compartment. 

Dan Didio, tool or king of tools?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 09:13:22 PM »

Dan Didio, tool or king of tools?

The best bit was where he described Deadshot as "Batman gone horribly wrong".

EVERY Batman villain is Batman gone horribly wrong.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:13:36 PM »

I like how one of the Waynes looks like Light Yagumi.

"Gotham... is rotten..."

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »

: That... That was low.

: Oh, thanks so much. I so wanted to cry in front of everyone.

: Hooray! People are paying attention to me!

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:40:27 PM »

: That... That was low.

: Oh, thanks so much. I so wanted to cry in front of everyone.

: Hooray! People are paying attention to me!

: lol sup guys

Also, the video's been taken down. Thanks, corporate overlords!

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 09:59:49 PM »

Quote from: Youtube
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Warner Bros, BayTSP

Ah, those goofwads. They send out blanket cease and desist letters to providers like the Brits & Yanks sent their blanket love to Dresden.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 10:22:43 PM »

Wha- Why? Why would they force somebody to take down free fucking advertising?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 10:40:14 PM »

Oh, where to BEGIN on the stupidity of Warner?

Getting bought out with a company that had no money is probably a good start.

On the DC side, I'd say not allowing any of Batman's supporting cast on the last 3 seasons of Justice League qualifies too.  Oh, and cancellation of same.  And Teen Titans despite the fact that it was running 17 times a day and obviously a huge success.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 11:03:03 AM »

Why So Serious?

moar like why so bald

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »

Awesome. I was really, really hoping they wouldn't take the "face divided straight down the middle" route. Wonder if he'll actually appear clearly in a trailer or if they'll only stick with pre-acid Dent.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 11:37:56 PM »

Lego Batman trailer.

Oh, also Morrison's latest issue is great as usual.  The hints he's been tantalizing since the very first pages of his run finally come to fruition as we find out why there are three cops pretending to be Batman.  It's dense reading, layers upon layers of stuff happening, leaving the reader as disoriented as Batman himself.  I want to hit Wikipedia on this thing and find out whether the whole backstory is a retcon or Morrison is once again cleverly building on an obscure bit of canon.

But for now it is my bedtime, so I'm going to leave all that stuff for later.

EDIT: The sensory deprivation experiment story is from Batman #156, "Robin Dies at Dawn", from 1963.  More later; now I really AM going to bed.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 11:42:32 AM »

Okay!  References!

Review of Robin Dies at Dawn.

Nrama thread tying the ending of #672 back to same (the purple alien face Batman hallucinates after being shot is from that story).

Nrama thread giving a list of obscure Bat-stories Morrison has plumbed, including 1947's "Commissioner Gordon Walks a Beat", the source of Jim's remark about the time he was demoted to patrolman.  (WARNING: Do NOT read past the first page.  It very quickly degenerates into a bunch of nerds whining about Batman's escape act.)

...I kind of like being challenged.  And the fact that Morrison wants his readers to do some detective work of their own...

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 10:58:15 AM »

I debated whether I should pick up Detective #842 when I saw Dini's name wasn't on it.  I'm not crazy about Nguyen's art, and I'm pretty sure I would have skipped this one if not for Peter Milligan's name -- I haven't been crazy about the post-X-Statix books of his I've read, but figured I'd give him a shot anyway.

It was a good call.  The theme's pretty played -- the old "Will Batman go too far?" bit -- and while the titular "detective" portion of the story shows promise (and a touch of magic rather than the usual Gotham noir stuff), it reaches a very anticlimactic conclusion.  Still and all, it's a decently-executed story, and the ending is solid.

Looks like Dini's back next month with another Scarface story.  That should be fun.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 11:55:17 PM »

...So all right, just saw a "Batman RIP" ad.

Frankly, my first reaction is "Fuck all, that's stupid."

HOWEVER.  It's Grant Morrison.  And his entire run, less the Ra's crossover, has been pure fucking gold.  So I am looking forward to it.

So all right.  #674 alludes to a new Bat-villain, who frankly Morrison has rather oversold and made out to be some sort of perfect, implacable foe.

Who is it?  Batman holds up one of his gauntlets and ponders whether this foe is telling him his name.  That's led to fan speculation that it's the Black Glove from the Club of Heroes arc, or that it's Batman himself.  A more interesting tack would be to take #666 literally: Damian kills his father.  And while I'm sure that's not actually going to happen, I'm equally sure we haven't seen the end of that story.

Morrison himself:

Everything...the "Zur-En-Arrh" graffiti, the Joker prose story, the Club of Heroes...every detail that's been in the book for the last couple of years is significant, everything is a clue to the grand design that's unfolding.

My run on Batman is a 25-chapter novel that reaches its climax in "RIP" and maneuvers Batman into the greatest danger he's ever known, at the mercy of the world's deadliest criminal lunatics.

And yeah, I've seen all kinds of speculation about "RIP," but it's not necessarily what people think it's going to be, although there are very big changes coming to Batman. When we say that this is the story that changes the legend of the Dark Knight forever, we're quite serious about that.

Again, from anyone else, that'd be a bunch of trite horseshit.  But inasmuch as this is Morrison, I'm sure he IS serious about it.

Only problem is, six months after he leaves the book, everything's going to be retconned back to status quo.  Look at Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle, a fresh new Grant Morrison take on a classic series, and then look at Death of the New Gods, a painfully derivative pastiche of Kirby dots and photo backgrounds.  People can't deal with changing legends forever, they want to crank out pale imitations of decades-old classics.  Just ask Joe Q.

So anyway.  Bruce isn't going to die.  He isn't going to give up the mantle of Batman.  And if he does either one of those things, then the next writer, or possibly the one after that, is going to bring everything back to status quo.

The biggest changes I could see would be Bruce getting married or his identity becoming public.  Both those stories have been done, over and over again, and always with a reset switch, or in a parallel universe.  But then, Morrison's entire run has been about taking old stories and putting new twists on them.  So I guess we'll see.

I'm going to have to guess that the "RIP" ties back to the Nanda Parbat subplot in 52, Bruce's destruction and recreation of himself -- didn't he actually SAY "Batman is dead" at one point?  And then, of course, the same story was echoed with the Joker's reinvention in the aforesaid prose story.

But of course my FAVORITE theory is that it's actually Batman: Rip, as in Hunter, and will be a crossover with Booster Gold.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »

No, the twist will be that they kill Alfred instead.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 04:10:21 PM »

Sigh.  Yeah, that's what I figured too, but I'm sincerely hoping Morrison has better sense than that.

Especially since they've already made it abundantly clear that Martha Kent's going to die.

Then again, if he dies peacefully of a heart attack or somesuch as that, I think he could pull it off.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »

Oh no! In spite of his powers intestinal fortitude, Anakin Superman Batman is powerless to prevent the death of those he loves is close to!

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 04:57:40 PM »

Batman doesn't have powers, you dope.

Yes, I know what you meant, but still.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 07:52:12 PM »

Fix'd
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30