Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 122

Author Topic: Funnybooks  (Read 161196 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Funnybooks
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2008, 08:49:59 PM »

I stopped reading Booster Gold when he saved Ted Kord. Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't a fan of his death in the first place, but I thought the book was more effective when there were some people he couldn't save, and some things he couldn't change.

The entire story since then has been about the negative repercussions of his decision, and frankly I'm a little sick of it and hoping they don't end up killing him all over again.

As for Final Crisis, I don't have any hope for another fucking Crisis. Crisis Crisis Crisis. There hasn't been a good one since the first one,

You're suggesting the first one was good.

I think the last one I really enjoyed was DC One Million

Also Morrison.

I think some of this is just a reflection of the fact that I have less time and interest for comic books these days, but if there was more quality out there I have to believe I'd be reading more books.

Fair.  I need to decrease my intake too.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2008, 09:23:33 PM »

Back on the subject of FF: #556 is decent, but it's a "shit blows up" installment rather than a character-development one.  It counterbalances last month's focus on Reed by not having him show up at all, but Ben and Sue still get short shrift; this issue breaks up primarily into the Johnny part and the huge-roster-of-Marvel-heroes-fights-giant-monster part.

The CAP premise is a little weak [spoiler](they built in a "don't hurt us" failsafe but no off switch?)[/spoiler], but there's obviously more going on here than we're seeing, and I'm inclined to think these apparent plotholes are there for a reason.

Violent for an FF book, but tame for a Millar/Hitch book.

Dialogue continues to be great, and the big group shots have me picking through them trying to spot everybody.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2008, 05:57:04 PM »

:orly:

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2008, 06:37:43 PM »

No, no, no, no, no!

I said SADLY WALK AWAY, PAUSE, TURN, PAUSE, PIVOT, STEP, STEP! Not SADLY WALK FORWARD, PAUSE, TURN, PAUSE, PIVOT, STEP, PAUSE! Ohhhh, SUGAR!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2008, 09:36:01 PM »

Bruce Banner is...Spider-Man no more!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2008, 12:35:21 AM »

...So the first arc of The Brave and the Bold was pretty good, all in all.

Anyone know if Waid's staying onboard?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2008, 01:33:50 PM »

...Finally got around to cracking the copy of Fourth World vol 2 that I bought on the first of the year, and it reminded me of why I'm interested in Final Crisis.  I've already talked about it in this thread, but...it's Morrison doing Fourth World stuff.  Which sounds an awful lot like Seven Soldiers to me.  Bal, your thoughts?

Also, while I'm on the subject, out of curiosity...you live in Phoenix metro, right?  Where do you buy your comics?  I shop at Ash Avenue.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2008, 09:14:42 PM »

Panther gets animated series -- prime time, on BET.

A superhero cartoon for adults is a good idea.  Of course, we could wind up with something like the MTV Spider-Man.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2008, 05:52:29 AM »

...Finally got around to cracking the copy of Fourth World vol 2 that I bought on the first of the year, and it reminded me of why I'm interested in Final Crisis.  I've already talked about it in this thread, but...it's Morrison doing Fourth World stuff.  Which sounds an awful lot like Seven Soldiers to me.  Bal, your thoughts?

Also, while I'm on the subject, out of curiosity...you live in Phoenix metro, right?  Where do you buy your comics?  I shop at Ash Avenue.

I shamefully have to admit that, while I love the Fourth World stuff, I've barely read any of it, classic Kirby or otherwise, just due to availability for the most part. In fact, I'd say my strongest impressions of those characters comes from the DCAU. As for Morrison writing it... I just don't know. It seems to me that he does his best work when he's not trying to be super serious (All Star Superman), and is much more inconsistent when he's trying to be dark. From what I've read in the previews, Final Crisis seems to fall well within the latter camp. On the other hand, Darkseid is, thanks to DCAU, probably my favorite DC villain, and if he manages to come off well as the architect of this disaster, then that may well be worth the price of admission.

I live in Tucson, actually, and I'm forced to admit that I download most comics, but I make sure to buy the ones I enjoy when they make TPB.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2008, 10:29:46 AM »

Yeah, the availability IS a problem; I'm working through it for the first time myself.  They didn't start releasing the full collections until a year and a half or so back, and they're still only available as 4 hardbacks for a rather bruising $50 each.  (My comic shop holds occasional 25% off sales; I grabbed the first two up on such occasions.)  But if you can afford $50 for a comic book, that's the way to go.  (That or the $50 hardback collections of Palomar and Las Locas.)  I assume there'll be paperback editions someday, but no word on that.

Can't fault the DCAU's take on the story; it was great.  I'm surprised by how dark the last season of Superman got, and it sure ended on a downer.

Can't vouch for the Orion series from a few years back as I haven't read that; as for the current Death of the New Gods, I made it through #1 and then didn't buy #2.  Embarrassingly derivative.

Did you read Seven Soldiers?  There were Kirby/Fourth World tie-ins throughout, but Mister Miracle was the biggest, for obvious reasons.  It recast the New Gods as homeless people on the streets of New York.  Pretty cool, actually, precisely BECAUSE it was so much different from a typical New Gods story.

Seven Soldiers also follows Fourth World stylistically, in its method of storytelling, by rotating between different narratives that combine to form a larger gestalt.

How Morrison will do with a more traditional take is anybody's guess, but I'll vouch for his work on Batman.  It's not as dark as Batman's generally been for the past couple of decades, but it's not as whimsical as All-Star Superman, either.  (The whimsy is mostly to be found in Morrison's selection of reference material, rather than the narrative itself.)

Anyway.  I'll at least give #1 a look.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2008, 12:38:51 PM »

I didn't read Seven Soldiers. I was out of DC at the time, if I recall. I've heard good things, maybe I'll check it out. It might give me some idea of where he intends to go with this latest take.

The last season of Superman was framed by two of the greatest appearances Darkseid has ever made, Apokolips Now and Legacy, and to end on that note, with Superman essentially a pariah. I remember when it first aired I was a little old for Saturday mornings, so I wasn't picking up episodes regularly, and I was convinced that I had missed episodes after Legacy. It just couldn't end like that. That fight at the end of Legacy part 2, I wouldn't have believed you could put something that brutal on Saturday morning. Of course, they went on to push that envelope even further with Batman Beyond. Not to derail the thread. Maybe there should be a "Nerds Love DCAU" thread.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2008, 01:32:09 PM »

I didn't read Seven Soldiers. I was out of DC at the time, if I recall. I've heard good things, maybe I'll check it out. It might give me some idea of where he intends to go with this latest take.

Read it for its own sake (and for the opportunity to read it without a massive delay before the last issue).  While I'm sure Final Crisis will have some callbacks to it (he's already said Frankenstein will play a role, and I would be very surprised if the Shilo Norman Mister Miracle didn't show up), I'm equally sure it'll be a much different animal.  Seven Soldiers involved an alien invasion, but it wasn't really a cosmic story.

The last season of Superman was framed by two of the greatest appearances Darkseid has ever made, Apokolips Now and Legacy, and to end on that note, with Superman essentially a pariah. I remember when it first aired I was a little old for Saturday mornings, so I wasn't picking up episodes regularly, and I was convinced that I had missed episodes after Legacy. It just couldn't end like that. That fight at the end of Legacy part 2, I wouldn't have believed you could put something that brutal on Saturday morning.

I didn't catch any of it until I got it on DVD a year or two back; I caught the Justice League followups before the original eps.  The New Batman/Superman Adventures aired when I was in high school; I slept in on Saturday mornings, and I missed the weekday afternoon reruns because of play rehearsals.

Batman Beyond was an interesting case because we actually didn't get WB with NAU's cable lineup my first year or two there.  During this time, I went to great lengths to get copies of Beast Machines either on tape or from the Internet; in hindsight it is clear I bet on the wrong horse.

By my junior or senior year, Justice League was a regular Saturday night activity for my friends and me.

Maybe there should be a "Nerds Love DCAU" thread.

Would be mostly retread since there is no DCAU anymore.

I hear The Batman got pretty good toward the end, though (about the time Burnett took over), so I queued up season 4 on Netflix.

Al Baron

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »

CBR was liveblogging the Mondo Marvel panel at the NYCC today.

I can now read both Runaways and Spider-man Loves Mary Jane again with Terry Moore at the helm. ::D:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2008, 10:56:59 PM »

Final Crisis panel: starts off with DiDio reminding us that Martha Kent's going to die in issue #1.  (Well, he doesn't say that.  He insults our intelligence with more obvious hints.)  Aside from that, Morrison seems to indicate there won't be many deaths.

Fair amount of New Gods chatter, and it looks like Sonny Sumo's going to make an appearance.

Best bit:

A question about Morrison possibly working with DC’s animation department resulted in the writer revealing that "they were interested in doing an adaptation of All-Star Superman," which delighted the crowd, but Morrison quickly added that it was "just talk and vague ideas at this point."

Also:

Morrison reminded the crowd that he’s only going to be writing Batman after Final Crisis, saying "I want to take a couple years off and just rethink the whole superhero thing and come back with new ideas."

Hrm -- so it looks like All-Star Superman really DOES wrap with #12, or shortly thereafter.  ...Actually...I feel pretty good about that.  Satisfying endings are a very rare thing in comics.

EDIT: (Minor) clarification in the Morrison panel:

Another member asked when he was finished with All-Star Superman, and he confirmed that it finishes at issue #12, but that he has some other, tangential stories he'd like to tell with some other artists. "But the whole story of Superman ends at #12."

Also:

When an audience member asked about Seaguy, Morrison said, "Yeah, he's back next year, don't worry about it, everything's fine.

:smile:

EDIT 2: From the Cup-o'-Joe panel:

While Alonso was still talking about this issue, Marvel Comics icon Stan Lee joined the stage, saying "Who here is responsible for Spider-Man being single again?"

He then added that he thought it was "a great idea," and then gave Quesada some compliments before leaving.

Ironic considering that, according to Priest, Stan's the one who railroaded the marriage through in the first place.

Also, around that time, Stan decided that Peter and Mary Jane would get married in the Spider-Man syndicated newspaper strip. I thought, and still think, it was the worst creative move the company could have made. Spider-Man, by definition, is "The Hero Who Could Be You." Once he marries a supermodel and becomes domesticated, he moves beyond the realm of wish fulfillment of most adolescents. I mean, sure they'd like to give Mary Jane a toss, but marriage? What teenage boy dreams of marriage?

It was creative suicide, it could not be tolerated. I told Jim [Shooter] and Tom [DeFalco] that Spider-Man would get married in the comics series, and this is a quote, "Over my dead body."

Less than six months later, Spider-Man was married and I was gone.

In fairness, I'm with Priest and Quesada (and apparently Lee himself now) in the notion that marrying Spidey off was a bad idea from the get-go.  I just don't think that makes One More Day any less stupid.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2008, 03:56:48 AM »

Spirit Trailer

Looks and sounds just like Sin City.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2008, 07:47:25 AM »

Well, what did you expect?

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »

Restrai-

Oh, I get it.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »

Spirit Trailer

Looks and sounds just like Sin City.

Works for me. Let Frankie direct everything, I say.

Disclaimer: I have never read The Spirit and have no knowledge of its art style.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »

"Copyright restricts this video from being played outside the US"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :hurr:

Royal☭

• Tested