Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 56

Author Topic: Final Fucking Fantasy  (Read 95054 times)

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fucking Fantasy
« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2008, 09:48:54 AM »

To be fair, his pope was only slightly more dead than our pope.

And would anybody really be surprised if it turned out that our pope was unsent?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2008, 06:51:48 PM »

To be fair, his pope was only slightly more dead than our pope.

And would anybody really be surprised if it turned out that our pope was unsent?

I would. Don't the unsent, like, not age or something?
...but is it art?

PhoenixUltima

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 19, 2008, 07:14:08 PM »

Actually I'm fairly certain they do age: [spoiler]Auron died like 10+ years before Tidus came to town, and if you compare how he looked back then (during those memory bits at the ruined blitzball stadium-turned-holy-ground) to how he looks in the game proper he's obviously aged. There's probably a limit to it, though - Mika died of old age, yet at the trial he still just looks old, as opposed to absolutely ancient. Then again, they never specify when exactly he died, so maybe he just died like right before the game proper started.[/spoiler]
The captain of the gravy train!

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 19, 2008, 07:24:58 PM »

Come to think of it, every person who seems the least bit elder is an unsent in that game.  Yeah, even that fucking guy.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 19, 2008, 08:43:14 PM »

Probably because Sin (or various fiends) kills basically everyone in the entire world, eventually. None of the characters have living parents, although there are some old people here and there.

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 29, 2008, 09:52:28 AM »

I tried to play through some of FF10 today, actually.

As God is my witness, i will never play another Final Fantasy game again.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 29, 2008, 10:03:01 AM »

Are you kidding?  Do you know how many times I was tempted to play FFX, but go crosseyed during the title screen so it looks like XII and I can say I beat that game?

Air

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • SoraCross Dev.
« Reply #267 on: September 29, 2008, 10:14:12 AM »

If you want the best RPG ever, play 6.
If you want a long mellow drama anime, play 7.
If you want Laguna and the 2nd worse battle system in FF, play 8
If you want Jecte and HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! play 10.
If you want to play 12, do yourself a favor and play .hack//IMOQ instead, as 12 sucks.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 29, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »

I am so disappointed in you.

If you want the bestest RPG evar, play 6.
If you want a long mellow drama anime, play 7.
If you want Laguna and the 2nd worse battle system in FF, play 8
If you want Jecte and HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! play 10.
If you want to play 12, do yourself a favor and play .hack//IMOQ instead, as 12 sucks.

I made it more you for you.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 29, 2008, 10:53:20 AM »

Classic, to elevate yourself in a barbaric society you have to attack those lower in standing than you, not higher.

10 plays better than 12 (IT WOULD ABOUT HAVE TO !@&$) but it is so insufferable in every other way that i can't handle it. The designs make me want to throw up -- not just the characters, which... jesus christ, but even the menus, the design principle of which was evidently "try to use every single color at least once." Blitzball... why the hell is Wakka's usefulness as a character tied to the worst, most time-consuming, most random, most skill-less minigame in FF history? "Maester?" "Fayth?" Was there seriously a time when i could put up with this kind of game without my eyes rolling clean out of my head??

There was a word i couldn't think of when i was playing through 12 to describe my grievances with the series as a whole, but i just realized it -- "decadent." The whole series (at least of late, but i am willing to admit that this may be true of every game in the series ever!) is honestly the queerest, more overdramatic tweeny horseshit that i can't imagine i ever played willingly. I can't tell if it's pandering or if SE is hiring people straight off Deviantart but one way or another 10 and 12 are so self-indulgent as to defy description.

It doesn't help that i keep reading about the international versions and wishing i could at least be playing those instead.

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 29, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »

Also every time i see Tidus, Yuna or Rikku in cutscene-vision i instinctively pull the corners of my eyes back with my thumbs and go CHING CHING WING WONG WE RIKE FLIED LICE

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 29, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »

I can't help but respect 10 at least a little for so blatantly admitting they ran out of ideas and didn't care.

"The bad guy is SIN.  SIN is bad.  Bad SIN."

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 29, 2008, 11:16:09 AM »

I'm an obsessive grindwhore, albeit less so nowadays, and so the more recent Final Fantasy games, and even stuff like the Nippon Ichi games entertain me because I can completely break the combat system.

I mean, come on, if you can hack Jecht apart in three turns with Tidus hitting for OVER NINETYTHOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND damage each turn before Jecht even gets a chance to breathe, THAT'S epic.

(here, I would insert the "I HATE YOU DAD *sniffle*" video, but I'm at work, and work blocks youtube.)

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 29, 2008, 11:29:47 AM »

I mean, come on, if you can hack Jecht apart in three turns with Tidus hitting for OVER NINETYTHOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND damage each turn before Jecht even gets a chance to breathe, THAT'S anticlimactic.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 29, 2008, 11:35:08 AM »

I liked FF10 for Fightan Giant Monsters(awesome boss environments are awesome) and Tidus high-fiving the ghost of his dad and also FF10 has some pretty choice musical bits i.e. "To Zanarkand"

otherwise absolute trash. If anybody actually used Rikimahru I want to see you after class.

I can't help but respect 10 at least a little for so blatantly admitting they ran out of ideas and didn't care.

"The bad guy is SIN.  SIN is bad.  Bad SIN."

After experiencing FF12 it is hilarious to note that FF10 has a strictly ok, workable story at it's very bare bones. Any serious look at it just disappoints because the whole GOD IS ACTIVELY DESTROYING THE WORLD IN A SUIT OF ARMOR CRAFTED FROM THE SOULS OF THE DEAD WHO MAY OR MAY NOT EXIST AND CAN WILL THEMSELVES TO BE UNDEAD is pretty cool but the ultimate explanation for it is JUST BECAUSE LOL.

No really re-write FF10 as a religious/government conspiracy thriller(EDIT: STARRING JECHT AND MAKE IT A REDNECK BUDDY MOVIE PERHAPS THOSE WERE THE BEST CUTSCENES)

I also like that for all the crimes against humanity the rest of the voice cast engaged in, the guy who did Seymour seemed to really enjoy himself.

THIS POST ENDS HERE.

AND YOUR MEANINGLESS EXISTENCE WITH IT!

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 29, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »

McDohl, I think you're looking for this one: "http://www-youtube-com/watch?v=PJsK2NrYyCU"? (I know that is the lamest way to get around the youTube integration sorry)

Norondor, please stop trying to confuse me into thinking you are actually completely retarded by tacking on completely insane comments to opinions that I might be able to agree with.
I AM PROUD OF MY (PRESUMABLY) ROUND EYES AND RACIST STEREOTYPES
That's actually a disconnect I've been getting pissed about as early as Ico. I guess we round eyes care more about our in-game avatars having dicks eyes whose size we can relate to than consistency in a character. <Insert rib at despised politician here.>

Norondor

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 29, 2008, 11:50:54 AM »

Tidus seriously has buck teeth in his FMV model. It is really off-putting, and not least of all because his polygonal model looks nothing like that.

I also like that for all the crimes against humanity the rest of the voice cast engaged in, the guy who did Seymour seemed to really enjoy himself.

Yuna

S+
S
A+
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C- <--
D
F

Everyone else is between "awful" and "ok" most of the time.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 29, 2008, 12:02:53 PM »

If you want the best RPG ever, play 6.

Nah. FF6 actually kind of sucks these days. The music is still good, though.

As far as I can tell, honestly, the only Final Fantasy that really holds up well is FF5. Story may suck balls, sure, but it's still an honest-to-goodness blast to play.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 29, 2008, 12:17:09 PM »

<INCOHERENT RAGE AT DN>

Going through the PS version a few years ago was still pretty fun, and it's scenarios were still a lot of fun (if a bit by-the-book). You talking about how there's only one really viable combat strategy or some such a thing?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »

I wonder if I can play FF5 without mastering classes and making everyone no-job engines of destruction.
No, no I can't.  :sadpanda:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 56